Catch Can smoke?

SlowImport

Established Member
I have some smoke coming out of my catch can. But it looks really weird. It looks like smoking coming off a cigarette.

I have a new motor built by HPP and it did it when I first got it back from them. They said that all built motors do this. Even a few of my friends that have had some stuff done by HPP said this also. But I just dont know, it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I have only put 2,000 miles on the motor and it just seems to be getting worse.

Does this sound right? Oh and my catch can is basicly a hose coming from the pass side and a hose coming from the drivers side valve covers. They both go into the catch can and then its vented through a filter on the top of the catch can.

I am just afraid it has not been right from the get go.

Please help,
Josh

BO TY KLR

Established Member
It's normal due to you not having any vacuum on the crankcase(no pcv). Whatever vapors that are in the case are now ending up in the catch can and venting out the filter. This is the reason that the PCV valve was created to evac those vapors back into the combustion chamber, and keep them out of the atmosphere. If you look at old cars that don't have PCV valves they always vent out of the filter on the valve cover when car is shut off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread