Catch Can Question

Nomadic

Established Member
After having my JPC breather kit destroyed by heat (rubber ripped off when pulling them up), looking at doing a catch can setup. I was looking at bob's oil separators, my question is, can I run both PCV's to the single can?

Also has anyone changed out the passenger PCV in a boosted application for a straight through design?

wr450

Established Member
I'm not familiar with boosted set ups I got the Ford racing one looks oem like it came on the car and I'm surprised how much it collects I run the dogshit outta my car oil level doesn't change much last time I emptied that little booger it was half full wish I would've had one on since new but the Ford one wasn't even available when I bought my the my car put it on at little over 30000 it's now at 42000 most the miles are highway

imeyers302

Established Member
I used to run my Bobs catch can on the passenger side. Worked awesome and caught a lot of oil. Just installed a procharger which caps off the passenger side so I hooked it up on the drivers side with the procharger. Don't see how you could pipe both sides into one can.

Passenger side..

picture share

Driver side with procharger..

upload gifs

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
You may be thinking of a breather can system not a catch can.

A catch can system is in line with the PCV system. It captures oil vapors from the crankcase fumes before letting them into the intake.

A breather can system on the other hand essentially functions like your old breather kit. It vents to atmosphere and deletes your PCV system. The difference is that the breather can acts as a filter before releasing crankcase fumes to atmosphere to capture oil for track safety purposes. Some tracks do not allow for open elements like breathers. I'm sure you've seen how much oil gets gunked up over time from the breathers. I run the Boss302S/Cobra Jet system which utilizes the Petersen breather unit, PN: 615-08-0400.

If you're wondering if you can run both lines into a single catch can (converting to a breather can), the answer is yes but only if you unseal the can and allow for it to vent to atmosphere.

hand-filer

Established Member
After having my JPC breather kit destroyed by heat (rubber ripped off when pulling them up), looking at doing a catch can setup. I was looking at bob's oil separators, my question is, can I run both PCV's to the single can?

Also has anyone changed out the passenger PCV in a boosted application for a straight through design?

There's only 1 PVC valve, it's on the passenger side. The driver side valve cover is vented to the intake and is a source of fresh air for the PCV system.

You can vent both valve covers to atmosphere but your car will smell like a 1961 Pontiac while running and your oil will get dirty sooner. A lot of people vent to atmosphere but I don't see any benefits to removing the PCV system.

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
I run two of the bobs cans. I had one of those cute JLT ones before I went boosted and it did ok. My bobs catch cans are definitely catching more oil and are a breeze to operate. I even put one on the my 16 GT I was so impressed. You'll need one per side of PCV. You don't NEED one for the driver side, but it is recommended if you're boosted or want to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread