Catch can-oil serperator mounting locations

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I picked up a polished catch can from UPR at the NMRA event this past weekend. It's a pretty sweet piece and I'm sure it will do the job but I cant find a place to mount it. This thing is roughly the size of a Coke can and as you all know, space is pretty tight in our engine bays. I'm not against mounting it low in the bumper area, gravity would work to my advantage some. But it is polished and would look good with the polished Whipple. I have stared the car down a few times but haven't had much luck finding anything. I could still be missing a spot. Any ideas?

03Cobranator

Established Member
Not that it would make a huge difference but Im pretty sure that the can is supposed to be mounted above where the lines start. But I just ordered a catch can as well and idk where im going to mount mine either.

cj428mach

Established Member
I went with the jlt pcv filters for this reason. Did you get the 99-04 version? if so to me it doesn't look like it would fit well in our cars. I thought about going with the 05+ version that has the flat piece of strap for the mounting bracket instead of the round bar stock. Then I was thinking I'd just bolt it to a strut bolt or something.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Not that it would make a huge difference but Im pretty sure that the can is supposed to be mounted above where the lines start. But I just ordered a catch can as well and idk where im going to mount mine either.

You may be right. I was just thinking of the hose traveling back to the lower intake would be above the catch can.

I went with the jlt pcv filters for this reason. Did you get the 99-04 version? if so to me it doesn't look like it would fit well in our cars. I thought about going with the 05+ version that has the flat piece of strap for the mounting bracket instead of the round bar stock. Then I was thinking I'd just bolt it to a strut bolt or something.

I actually have a jlt prefilter on the passenger side head. This is a 99-04 version. After looking at it closer, the flat strap may be a better option. I may mock up something using a hose clamp then get a polished strap later.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
I'm not sure if you have space in this location, but I figured I'd throw this up here in case it will work for you. I have a '03 Cobra radiator in my XR7, and I just made up a simple aluminum bracket to mount the separator to the radiator frame.

oil%20seperator%20installed_zps3fc59154.jpg

20redfire03

Established Member
I have wanted to get a pair of the Bobs oil seperators, as they seem to have the best results from what I have seen, but wouldn't know of any good locations to mount the cans.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm not sure if you have space in this location, but I figured I'd throw this up here in case it will work for you. I have a '03 Cobra radiator in my XR7, and I just made up a simple aluminum bracket to mount the separator to the radiator frame.

oil%20seperator%20installed_zps3fc59154.jpg

I was looking at this exact spot the other night! I can fab up a bracket like that to work. I will take another look at it. Thanks for the pic.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
I put mine on the drives side mounted to the underside of the windshield wiper cowling, fits perfect

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I put mine on the drives side mounted to the underside of the windshield wiper cowling, fits perfect

Is there any way you can post a pic?

Glad to help!

I checked that out today and it won't work. I have a aftermarket aluminum overflow tank and it takes up more room than stock. Thanks again though.

Users who are viewing this thread