catalytic converter and tune

so9956

Established Member
I am planning on getting my truck tuned tuesday (7/17), the noise my exhaust was making was the passenger side cat going out from running too rich with the longtubes. I have another cat on order but my question is...will the bad cat make a difference in the a/f readout when I go to the tuner and should I get the new one installed before I go? I haven't sent the tuner an email yet to see he says, I just wanted to hear you guys opinion first. Thanks for the input.

Struck U

Established Member
Not sure if it would make a difference, but what kind of noise was your exhaust making before the cat went out?

SSKillerF150

Connoisseur of fine whine
Established Member
Its not out yet but it stinks when it gets hot and I want a less restrictive exhaust anyway. Are those round things near my exhaust manifolds cats?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You should replace the cat before getting tuned. If it's clogged and creating a restriction that will mess things up. Cats do little to nothing for a/f at WOT. As for the readings that will only depend upon where the O2 sensor is placed in the system. After cat readings will usually be .1-.2 leaner than before cat placement FYI.

so9956

Established Member
thanks fade, I was hoping that I didn't have to get it replaced because I have been waiting long enough to get my truck tuned, so hopefully it comes in before tuesday. I don't know if it's clogged though, it rattles like hell which makes me think that the honeycomb inside just came apart

so9956

Established Member
ok, so I ordered another cat from dynatech, the problem is that the new convertor is a different size than the one that came with the lt header system. they only sell one kind of convertor on their site so i don't know why they wouldn't be the same as the one's that come with the system, but their not.....So my question is, will this make a difference in the tune since the cats are different sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread