Cat deletes without a tune?

lanky r

Established Member
Hey all,

I have a 2012 GT and I want to get a little more out of my exhaust. I'm currently running Flowmaster American Thunder catback (3" with Xpipe) and I love the sound but its a little too quiet for me. I'm thinking about adding cat deletes into the mix as I know that will definitely add some extra volume. My question is, could running cat deletes without a tune cause any issues? Im know that it'll throw a CEL and that it may potentially be way too loud/raspy but I'm OK with that risk.

Also if anyone has suggestions on which cat deletes are best that would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards steeda as I've read that BBK doesn't have the greatest fitment.

Thanks!

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Doesn't the ECU think the cats are overheating if they're deleted and adds more fuel? It's more than just CEL iirc.

Get the JEGS cat deletes (perfect fitment) and a tune.

Were you on msf? I see you had a hyper tech tune. If you liked that, I'd keep it simple and just get a Bama tune to start off.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
You can run them but you will be running super rich cause it dumps fuel to cool the cats but I here there is a way around it if you move the o2s further back towards the xpipe they are further away from the engine and stay cooler so the pcm doesn't dump fuel and no cel

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
get the cat deletes and buy the o2 extenders from vibrant. works gret no CEL with stock tune

JasinEdward

Established Member
What I did prior to tuning was to add risers.... I bought 2 packs of anti-foulers for spark plugs. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to hollow 2 out of 4 of them. Then I put the hollowed one in the un-hollowed one, then the rear o2 sensor in the hollowed one. It made one big stack..... This fools the ecu into thinking the correct amount of exhaust is hitting the sensor and keeps the check engine light from coming on... It will still work fine once you tune it too....

steveofiveo

Established Member
In the stock location ?

Can you snap a pic of your setup?

Can't change the tune because big brother will know.

What I did prior to tuning was to add risers.... I bought 2 packs of anti-foulers for spark plugs. I used a 1/2 inch drill bit to hollow 2 out of 4 of them. Then I put the hollowed one in the un-hollowed one, then the rear o2 sensor in the hollowed one. It made one big stack..... This fools the ecu into thinking the correct amount of exhaust is hitting the sensor and keeps the check engine light from coming on... It will still work fine once you tune it too....

lanky r

Established Member
Thanks everyone! Damn! I was hoping that I could get away with it like a simple bolt on. I think I will just wait and get a tune. I appreciate the info on defoulers/O2 sensor relocation though.

Doesn't the ECU think the cats are overheating if they're deleted and adds more fuel? It's more than just CEL iirc.

Get the JEGS cat deletes (perfect fitment) and a tune.

Were you on msf? I see you had a hyper tech tune. If you liked that, I'd keep it simple and just get a Bama tune to start off.

Yeah I was of MSF, I didn't post much tho. I did like the Hypertech, but that was mainly becuase I didn't want to get to serious with mods and run the risk of blowing my motor.

What is the reason for not wanting to run a tune? You'll gain so much more with the combo.

Yeah I know, I'm doing my best to hold off on power mods. The car doesn't really need more power (tho I'd like it!) and power mods are slippery slope. I would get the cat deletes... then a SCT tuner... then a tune... then an intake... and there goes $1,000. Plus I'd like to keep stock tuning for warranty purposes.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
I have the steeda cat deletes. I also had the same flowmaster AT classics on my 2013. The sound of the flows went to crap after installing the cat deletes. Anything over 3k rpm sound bad raspy and tin canny. I ende up selling the flowmasters and am ordering the gt500 style ab's.
now the steeda cat deletes on the other had are AWESOME! The quality and construction is top notch plus the fitmeant was spot on! The welds are hand TIG welded and are PERFECT! Also steeda gives forum pricing too!:)I was told steeda started making these because of the fitmeant and quality issues of other brands.

Ill be taking mine off and selling them this week. I'm installing a full o/r mid pipe. PM me if interested.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Also I recently took my car in for warranty work. Flashed the stock tune back on but left the cat deletes on. The car was driven around for 3 days and no check engine light came on? Even so its not a big deal. If I'm not mistaken the car will just run a tad rich which isn't going to hurt anything. To get the most gains from removing the cats you'll want a good tune. I've seen power numbers as high as 417whp with just a cold air, o/r mid pipe, and AED tune. My car made 400whp and 383tq with just a cai, cat deletes, and bama 93H tune. There's more on the table to with my car as my tune isn't that great

Users who are viewing this thread