cat deletes w/ stock axle backs?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I deleted the cats this past weekend and with gt500 axle backs, the exhaust may be a wee bit too loud. is anyone beside cuslo1 running and offroad mid pipe with stock axle backs and happy with this setup? I'm afraid I'm that guy right now. :(

Ratchet

Established Member
I deleted the cats this past weekend and with gt500 axle backs, the exhaust may be a wee bit too loud. is anyone beside cuslo1 running and offroad mid pipe with stock axle backs and happy with this setup? I'm afraid I'm that guy right now. :(

I may be trying that shortly, I was thinking about putting in a magnaflow catless 3" one that get's rid of resonators as well, but I have roush right now and that would probably get crazy raspy stupid loud. So I was thinking about the GT500 AB with that X pipe... but you are saying it's to loud. What kind of to loud? Raspy, drone like to loud?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I may be trying that shortly, I was thinking about putting in a magnaflow catless 3" one that get's rid of resonators as well, but I have roush right now and that would probably get crazy raspy stupid loud. So I was thinking about the GT500 AB with that X pipe... but you are saying it's to loud. What kind of to loud? Raspy, drone like to loud?

loud above 2500 rpm and howls above 4000 rpm. 3.73 gears don't help either.

Bud

Established Member
I ran leathal off road x with resonator deletes on factory a/b, s. Wasnt horrible.

I ran the same setup and dug it. I'm not a fan of loud exhaust. With the offroad-x and jpc over axles w/out resonators the stock mufflers sounded great to me.

burke985

Established Member
Stock axelbacks and cat deletes = hardly noticeable change in sound , whisper quiet

burke985

Established Member
If you dont want your car to be too loud then put the cats back on or get a set of JBA's they are a little quieter than the gt500 with no cats and still rumble a little

86merc

Established Member
My buddy Drew (he is on the board) has cat deletes and stock mufflers on his 2012. It sounds good. Not real loud unless he gets on it. But louder than stock for sure.

Maybe I can get him to use the sound level app on his phone for some actual numbers. Try to use my car as a comparison as it has cats, x pipe, resonator delete pipes and JBA mufflers. I don't think my set up is loud at all. Nice deep tone though.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Oh hello lol. Ya, I have cat deletes and stock mufflers, actually like the way it sounds. I had gt500 mufflers previously and loved them as well but definitely a lot louder in comparison. My dyno vid for the boss manifold was on the stock mufflers and cat delete pipes. I'll get some sound vids up with my phone tomorrow for you.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Oh hello lol. Ya, I have cat deletes and stock mufflers, actually like the way it sounds. I had gt500 mufflers previously and loved them as well but definitely a lot louder in comparison. My dyno vid for the boss manifold was on the stock mufflers and cat delete pipes. I'll get some sound vids up with my phone tomorrow for you.

thanks for the feedback and look forward to listening to your dyno vid. just want it a little more quiet. think I'll swap out this weekend. if i like it better, I'll sell my gt500s to my neighbor (13 gt vert).

01bluesnake

Established Member
thanks for the feedback and look forward to listening to your dyno vid. just want it a little more quiet. think I'll swap out this weekend. if i like it better, I'll sell my gt500s to my neighbor (13 gt vert).

Here is the vid i had done for intake testing on the dyno. The only mod to the exhaust is just BBK cat deletes. As long as the rain stops tomorrow, ill try and get some outside vids of how it sounds.

[youtube_browser]YxdcOr2bpyA[/youtube_browser]

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Here is the vid i had done for intake testing on the dyno. The only mod to the exhaust is just BBK cat deletes. As long as the rain stops tomorrow, ill try and get some outside vids of how it sounds.

[youtube_browser]YxdcOr2bpyA[/youtube_browser]

thanks! I'm sold. making the swap this weekend. can't take the drone between 2000-2500 rpm.

texican

Established Member
I've got an o/r x with pypes catback and it's too loud. I've been thinking about the stock axle backs as well, but that dyno video is almost too mild. I'll wait to hear some more feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread