Cat-Back Exhaust opinions wanted

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I'm sure your saying "Not another exhaust thread" but who doesn't want to offer an opinion on something when the opportunity presents itself?

Here's the question; "What catback should I buy based on sound?"

Before you answer here's all the background info;

The truck is a daily driver and will be fitted with my recently obtained OBX LT's which have small resonators in place of cats. I would like a louder (ish) exhaust for this truck, but don't want to regret it on a long drive somewhere.

Typically dealing with Mustangs I usually follow "balanced" route, if catless, use a quieter muffler, if catted use a stinger style.

Examples:
95 GTS - LT's catless prochamber and Borla XS-1's side exit
Friends 06 GT Magnaflow catted X and Borla Stingers
Friends 02 GT Magnaflow catted X and Magnapacks (installed 2 of these setups)
Friends 88 GT LT's Catless H pipe and Magnaflow Full Mufflers

and so on...

The result was fairly loud at WOT but you could tolerate it at cruise indefinitely. Or slide past the police at low RPM...

The original plan was for the Bassani catback with their catted midpipe but the resonators are kind of throwing my Mustang experience out the window and making this a tricky decision.

In this case I would really like to use the Bassani catback but have heard Lightnings do tend to have more interior resonance. So I've also been looking at a Borla Catback which would be on the quieter side.

End goal would be still be able to have a conversation in the cab and not have upgrade the stereo to hear some music. However the Bassani setup usually sounds killer on these trucks. The Borla approach would be the safe side, but I don't want to have it sound like stock.

I've browsed youtube and found some great video but nothing seems to really answer my question.

So I'm looking for facts and experiences, and if you have any sound clips with a set of OBX's please do post.

In the mean time thanks for your tolerance of yet another exhaust question.

Last edited:

DjKush

Established Member
Go with bassani, ur longtubes will Give u a bit more power if u have 3 inch exhaust all the way, I'm sure it will be loud enough. My .02

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I've got longtubes, resonators(catless mids) and a bassani bx catback. It's got everything you want but im not sure about the long drive noise. Hell, all the ones i've heard would probably suck for you for long drives.

Perhaps a good thing to do is go to a meet and ask someone to ride shotgun and have a listen in person.

Sound clips dont help imo.

01whiteL

Established Member
longtubes/no cats/ bassani x-pipe, ss catback..... use to love it, now it drives me nuts on highway trips lasting more then 45 minutes. There are sweet spots though where I'll set cruise and it fades.....

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
Thanks for the input so far, anyone have any experience with the Borla unit?

Not that cost is a huge contributing factor here but the Borla is over a $150 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread