Caster not adjustable?

jdcobra

Established Member
Vehicle was slightly pulling to the left (2014 Gt) so I went and had the alignment checked on it. They were saying that the caster is off and it’s not able to be adjusted unless I add caster/camber plates. When I had my 2012 Gt, I never had that issue and I was lowered 1” on all fours without caster/camber plates. Is it really not adjustable, or is there an issue with the car?

View attachment 1469877

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
For some reason I’m trying to upload a pic of the alignment diagram but there’s an error

basspro302

Established Member
Whats the difference in caster side to side? If they are less than .50 degree different that probably isnt causing the pull. Swap the front tires and see if the pull changes

jdcobra

Established Member
Whats the difference in caster side to side? If they are less than .50 degree different that probably isnt causing the pull. Swap the front tires and see if the pull changes

IMG_0008.JPG

debit_free_2010

Established Member
There isn't any caster adjustment built into the S197 chassis, it's fixed when the car is built and all chassis are going to be slightly different.

The FORD way to adjust it is to augur out the sub-frame mounting holes and use cam bolts to the correct caster angle.

Ford also tells you to ensure the rest of the alignments and other mechanical issues aren't caising the issue first before correcting the caster.

I'd be more concerned about the toe being out myself.

Did the pull just start or has it always done it?

Make sure your tires have the same pressure side to side, rotate the tires and see it the pull goes away like basspro posted.

jdcobra

Established Member
There isn't any caster adjustment built into the S197 chassis, it's fixed when the car is built and all chassis are going to be slightly different.

The FORD way to adjust it is to augur out the sub-frame mounting holes and use cam bolts to the correct caster angle.

Ford also tells you to ensure the rest of the alignments and other mechanical issues aren't caising the issue first before correcting the caster.

Make sure your tires have the same pressure side to side, rotate the tires and see it the pull goes away like basspro posted.

It started about 1,500 miles back when I rotated the tires. They are all set to 34 psi

jdcobra

Established Member

Yea I’m going to go back today and they are gonna charge me like $30 to adjust the toe

Digthemup

Established Member
It started about 1,500 miles back when I rotated the tires. They are all set to 34 psi
If the prob started with the tires, you could have a bit of uneven wear, since there is a quantifiable dif in your toe. That is going to impact your pull much more than your Caster, which is high speed stability.
BTW, check that driver side tie rod for any play by unloading that left side with a jack, grab tire really good and check for any movement in tie rod. Really no need to run your rear tires at 34psi, unless you are carrying a load. All my Fox and SN95 front 35 n rear 30-32 on 8-9" rims 245-255 tires street drive.

basspro302

Established Member
The total toe is at -.27 that will not cause a pull. In general toe does not cause a pull.

basspro302

Established Member
Based on the caster the alignment shows it should be pulling to the right. I would swap the front tires side to side and see if it changes the pull. I Used to see it all the time when i used to align cars.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Did you hit something? gotta love the construction, potholes, low visibility left hand turn lane curbs in our area...I nailed one on Louetta at night a little while back...

jdcobra

Established Member
Did you hit something? gotta love the construction, potholes, low visibility left hand turn lane curbs in our area...I nailed one on Louetta at night a little while back...

Jesus man. Luckily you didn’t blow your damn suspension out. When I had my c5 z06 I hit a armadillo on cypress rose hill and it sounded like an ied went off under the car

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Jesus man. Luckily you didn’t blow your damn suspension out. When I had my c5 z06 I hit a armadillo on cypress rose hill and it sounded like an ied went off under the car

Yeah I checked the car out the next morning. Did cost me a new tire, but that was it, tie rods, ball joints seemed to be ok. I had a C5Z too, could not imagine running over a dillo! I did some broken concrete once, left over from road construction, lucked out, it only hit the K and didn't do much, but **** it made one helluva racket.

Users who are viewing this thread