Cast iron block vs. Aluminum block

Would you rather have a cast iron block or Aluminum block?

• Cast Iron

Votes: 175 31.9%
  • Aluminum Teksid

Votes: 316 57.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 10.6%

• Total voters

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by yeasure
SlowSVT you have to be @*cking kidding me, did you even read anything that was posted.
My god kids today just don't know how to read.
I honestly feel stupid after reading SlowSVT's post above, i am lost for words on how dumb some people can be.
I remember a saying my dad told me about some people, "Some people don't believe sh*t stinks until you rub it in their face"
Hissman good luck with these kids, i'm done with this post....lmao

LOOK EVERYONE!!! A TROLL!!!!!!

LTHL PSI

All bow to Sid
Well regarding the NASCAR theory on why they dont use Aluminum blocks, I tend to disagree thats its because they cant make aluminum blocks that are reliable, the C5R Vette Lemans car for exampls uses an Aluminum block, and last time I checked I believe Formula 1 Cars(900+ hp, 15000+RPMS) use Aluminum blocks, granted the funds they have are almost unlimited, but I can sure bet NASCAR teams have the funds aswell, but its the rules that a cast iron block must be used.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Jpjr
Because he agrees with you? :??:
No. Because a troll is someone who only comes on the board to make his agenda known, and has no real interest in what the board is for. Since you are the only person who is arguing your point, and everyone else is saying the exact opposite of what you are saying, who do you think is right? If you have the attitude that everyone in the room is wrong, and I am just the smartest cause I know I am right. Something should throw up a flag. There are too many people on here who do know all of the ends and outs of the modular 4.6 for it to be discredited. I am not here to make arguments or to start a flame war. That is not my job. Let me ask you this. How long have you had a 4.6 mod mustang? How long have you been around the Mod motor? How many have you built? How many have you destroyed? You must have something other than just pure opinion to back you up if you are going to make an argument on your behalf.

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
No. Because a troll is someone who only comes on the board to make his agenda known, and has no real interest in what the board is for. Since you are the only person who is arguing your point, and everyone else is saying the exact opposite of what you are saying, who do you think is right? If you have the attitude that everyone in the room is wrong, and I am just the smartest cause I know I am right. Something should throw up a flag. There are too many people on here who do know all of the ends and outs of the modular 4.6 for it to be discredited. I am not here to make arguments or to start a flame war. That is not my job. Let me ask you this. How long have you had a 4.6 mod mustang? How long have you been around the Mod motor? How many have you built? How many have you destroyed? You must have something other than just pure opinion to back you up if you are going to make an argument on your behalf.

C'mon now man! Shall I copy in the poll results? What's with the tunnel vision?!?

And please stop throwing your weight around dude. I've never said your incorrect or that I'm right about this. I was just brining a different perspective.

Suggestion: How about some stress tests/analysis on the two blocks instead of 'arguing'? I think it would be good for the forumers to see the numbers, since this thread has obviously made at least myself reconsider the reliability of aluminum blocks in general.

Jpjr

Established Member
..and by reconsider aluminum blocks i mean that i had no idea they could be as reliable as you have shown. i certainly appreciate your insight.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I am not here to debate just state that my next motor in my Cobra will be a 96-99 Aluminum block.

On the subject of NASCAR one thing that has been overlooked is that they are required to maintain a certain level of "production vehicle" standards......hence the term Stock Car!
The bodies must conform, and have certain dimensions that coincide with the vehicle it represents. As far as motors go they must maintain certain "production pieces" albeit todays NASCAR engines are a far cry from a production engine, but the guidelines were set-up when a "stock car" was a "STOCK CAR", and even though they have been "tweaked" beyond tweaking to the $100,000 engines they are today they must conform to several of the "original standards, which were set-up to deter the highend exotic stuff such as aluminum blocks, 4-valve heads, fuel injection, etc. In order to conform they must be as previously stated Cast iron, 2 valves per cylinder, Carburated, Naturally aspirated, etc.
Saying that "why wouldn't NASCAR wan't to use aluminum if it was better to promote more competition" is like saying why don't they throw on a blower, or a turbo!!!!!! They are not ALLOWED.

But with the growing # of production vehicles using aluminum blocks, and multiple valves (more than 2) per cylinder it is very possible to see something of that nature in the future. Which is the whole reason Yates is pushing for the "cammer" engine to be allowed for NASCAR. There is an article in one of the Mags, about the development of the "cammer" with Robert Yates racing, and it goes into some of the detail regarding the rules for NASCAR engines, and where they are going in the future.

:beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The vote is 31 to 14 in favor of Aluminum. And the ones that voted for Aluminum are most likely the ones that have been there and done that and seen for themselves that the strength of the Teksid aluminum block is strong enough for what they are going to use it for, and the advantages outweigh any disadvantages, all though so far as fact non have been found with the teksid block.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
The vote is 31 to 14 in favor of Aluminum. And the ones that voted for Aluminum are most likely the ones that have been there and done that and seen for themselves that the strength of the Teksid aluminum block is strong enough for what they are going to use it for, and the advantages outweigh any disadvantages, all though so far as fact non have been found with the teksid block.

Right, the Teksid aluminum block is the strongest aluminum block made by Ford to date. At 85 lbs. It would be in my Cobra.
I don't know, why does SHM use a aluminum block in his 1500hp race car?

Last edited:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
If two motors are designed identical the only difference is the material they are made of. I would take the iron one every time! If the aluminum is designed better then I take it!

Last edited:

04Torchvert

Established Member
No alloy!!! NO NO NO. We see all the racing cars with alloy blocks thats only cause they always breaking the engines down and rebuilding them. Trust me guys with us driving these things in cold winters and with the power we add Iron is the only way.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I say both cpu77 and 04Torchvet are correct.
But cpu77 we dont have to choose from crap Iron/Aluminum block. We have good aluminum choices.
04Torchvet our 03/04's wouldn't last long ether if we pulled out of our driveways everyday at 10 below and hit 8 lbs. of boost on a regular basis.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by BEATNGU

I don't know, why does SHM use a aluminum block in his 1500hp race car?

Maybe he just wants it to break or something. (sarcasm)

SlowSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by yeasure
SlowSVT you have to be @*cking kidding me, did you even read anything that was posted.
My god kids today just don't know how to read.
I honestly feel stupid after reading SlowSVT's post above, i am lost for words on how dumb some people can be.
I remember a saying my dad told me about some people, "Some people don't believe sh*t stinks until you rub it in their face"
Hissman good luck with these kids, i'm done with this post....lmao

Yeasure,

Reading you posts is like eating at McDonald’s :nonono:

We have never met and I would say your perspective would be quite a bit different if we did.

The question was meant to get people into an intelligent dialog. I was offering valid technical information and you just offer retort and flame :burn: If I am wrong please explain “why” rather then jumping up and down like a snooty 8 year old who can’t go outside for recess. We all know that aluminum makes a great engine block, light weight and strong. No one said they were bad. I don’t hear any stories about Z06 Corvette blocks blowing up on the launch pad. But the truth is our “little” 281 cid blown Cobra engine is capable of making phenomenal amounts of horsepower and that’s why Ford chose to use a cast iron block over aluminum. Would you want a trio of Aluminum block engines driving your 60’ off-shore racing boat? ...... I think “not”. Mercury Marine only uses cast iron blocks and heads on their racing engines and there is a good reason for that. How about an aluminum industrial engine? I’ve never seen one. All the best air compressor’s use cast iron pump housings (the cheap ones are aluminum). For maximum durability it’s the best choice, period!

I know your smarter then your leading us to believe.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I think this thread has got off the initial intention.
No doubt a iron block can be made stronger w/ less R&D.

I think yeasure was trying to prove the point in that you can build a high hp engine w/a aluminum block and save weight and still be safe.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
The problem seems to be, these guys can't understand we are talking about fords "mod motors", not other engines/casting.
So all this bs about NASCAR engine and such has nothing to do with this.
This about FORDS MOD MOTORS and nothing else.
Now if you will "read" you'll understand we are only talking about those engine/casting.
Now back to what i said before, this isn't opinion, this is fact. These engines/casting have been tested time and time again and the fact is, the 96-99 blocks/casting are the strongest period.
Now i also stated this doesn't mean the cast iron blocks/casting are crap, by no means(look at Randy Haywood for an example).
The problem always seems to come from 03/04 cobra owners thinking the 03/04 cobras are perfect and nothing is better.
I've been around the mod motors for awhile now, i knew what i was getting into when i sold my 98 and bought a 03 cobra.
Point is, 96-99 castings are lighter/stronger and imo are the best casting/blocks you can get so far(still waiting on info about the FordGT casting).
Doesn't anyone think it's funny all the companies selling mod motors sell the 96-99 blocks, wonder why that is?!?!
So look at it this way....
Can the Aluminum hold up, yes they can, it's been done time and time again.
So my question is why go with a cast iron block thats heavier and tends to hold more heat(heat soak sucks bad on these engines).
Cost is the only thing i can think of honestly but to each his own.
Btw, this only means fords mod motors, nothing else, so please stop with the, "well nascar does this or my buddy at GM said" it has nothing to do with this subject.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by HISSMAN
This is a quote from a man in the know from another site.

Let me provide a history lesson here to the uninformed.............

Back in 1996-1999, the aluminum heads and blocks were cast at a foundry (TEKSID) in italy, the same manufacturer of aluminum blocks and heads for Ferrari. Threre are a few reasons why ford, at the time outsourced production on these pieces. They did not have the experience and knowhow on the casting technology and engineering aspects of a durable aluminum block. Ford ended its contract with Teksid in 1998, enough blocks were produced for the 1999 run. Ford tried to get into the aluminum block design and foundry process in 1999 and released the "explorer block, or more commonly called the "mountain" motor. It had extra material around the outside of the cylinders and in the valley of the block. The problem was not the engineering or cast shape or amount of material that the explorer block had over the Teksid block. The metalurgy was incorrect and fatigued at the 700 rwhp mark. The explorer blocks cracked in the valley and in between the cylinders. Several proven racers like Joe Stewart, Dave King, Bob Trianese, Tim palmer, and John Mijovitz have identified the shortcomings of the "explorer" blocks and have found that they are useless after 700 rwhp mark period. Not One Teksid block had failed due to too much horsepower.
Moving forward.......

With the 2003 cobra in the drawing board, ford found that its current technology with aluminum blocks did not meet the durability standards that they desired (remember this is basicly the weaker Explorer block not the Teksid block). They went with a GT romeo block that was CNC machined for straightness, thats it. They have 4 mains, not six. The cobra crank was carried over from the previous versions.

The only reason why the 03 cobras are so stout is the manley rods and the forged manley pistons.......If you put those components in a 96-98 block I can guarantee you that the aluminum block will hold up to any cast iron block in fords inventory.

Now if you look at the recent hot rod magazine, you will see that ford invested huge capital on the CNC machined aluminum blocks that have found their way in the GT40. They have finally got the foundry process right. If aluminum is so weak, why is it in a car capable of more power than an 03 cobra? I need not go on with this any more.....................

Absolutely FANTASTIC post.

Thank you.

:read:

Users who are viewing this thread