Carroll visits SVT, gives approval for GT500

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I'd love to write the caption for that first pic of Shelby looking at those hood vents:

Shelby - WTF are these goofy ass vents?
HTT - um, eh, huh, ack, eh, umm, hmm, uh, can I get another autograph?

Bower

Established Member
It certainly appears Shelby has had very little to do with the design of the new Cobra. Does he even understand the technology that goes into a modern car? He has a rich (and sometimes sorted) history to be sure, but other than the name, what is he REALLY bringing to the table?

Certainly, Hau Thai-Tang has had FAR more influence on this design then Shelby. He (and his team) should get the credit (good or bad). Of course, the Thai-Tang Cobra doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Just the simple name SVT Cobra would have been just fine, thank you!

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

Tman

Established Member
Bower Im with you a 100% on that one. I think it all comes down just to get the advertisement out with a big name on it, people who really builded this car should definetely get more credit for it. :beer:

CaDDy

Banned
In the picture it appears that Ford will build the GT500 "prototypes" with the hood vents and not the 03-04 cobra hoods. Maybe it'll also come with cool unpainted mirrors like my GT!!!

I guess well see what were finally gonna get when Feb of 06 rolls around. (Chicago auto show)

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Caddy92 said:
In the picture it appears that Ford will build the GT500 "prototypes" with the hood vents and not the 03-04 cobra hoods. Maybe it'll also come with cool unpainted mirrors like my GT!!!

I guess well see what were finally gonna get when Feb of 06 rolls around. (Chicago auto show)

Hey, Caddy 92 -- remember that they used "prototype" a few times in the article. There are still rumors re: different hood & mirrors (and GTR taillamps, too!!!). The final product is slated to appear @ Detroit show (last I heard). There's still hope if you don't like this...

Hey....my 500th post!!! That must be "lucky"!!! :beer: :rollseyes ;-)

Last edited:

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Why do you guys complain about the Shelby name being on the car? It is no different than the Mach 1 or Bullitt. It is a tribute to the famous cars. Who cares if he had input or not. The car will be awesome as were the Shelby cars of the '60s.

Trublu01

Established Member
The car is set, the hood is on, the taillights won't be changed nor never were, and they MAY paint the mirrors. Everything extra has a cost, they are trying to keep MSRP less than 40K. I don't care if it's called CRAP COBRA, it's a blown 330 with a live axle on an awesome platform. :D

Trublu01

Established Member
shelbyGtImage2.jpg

jshen

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
The good news is everybody seems to agree that the hood is an issue. You don't think it's coincidence that photo was used do you? HTT looks like he needs Advil and CS looks like he saw a cat in there or something. And the stripes are WRONG!!! I am attempting to wait patiently for another 75 days but who am I kidding. I don't suppose there is an A.N. Onymus type person who works at AAI who could chime in here re how they went together,etc.?

svtdriven

Established Member
i don't like the new hood either. they should come out with a new hood and use this one on the v6 models like they did with all the 00 cobra hoods.

Milstang

Established Member
Sorry Dougwg, was just making it available to see what other enthusiast were saying as well as the picture with the captions.

Next time I will post the first link and the final one so everyone will have the long way and the direct way.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Bower said:
It certainly appears Shelby has had very little to do with the design of the new Cobra. Does he even understand the technology that goes into a modern car? He has a rich (and sometimes sorted) history to be sure, but other than the name, what is he REALLY bringing to the table?

Certainly, Hau Thai-Tang has had FAR more influence on this design then Shelby. He (and his team) should get the credit (good or bad). Of course, the Thai-Tang Cobra doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Just the simple name SVT Cobra would have been just fine, thank you!

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe
What Shelby brings to the table, my friend is his 60+ years of being involved with almost every significant Ford-powered race car built..... from the DRIVERS perspective, in regards to engineering and performance handling......Thats a hell of a lot more important than deciding how the car looks.....It's amazing how some of you out here disregard Shelby's influence on Ford history and its products. If your too young to know his influence, then read a book on Ford and Shelby history together........

Users who are viewing this thread