Carrier bearing preload

Metal Head

Established Member
Does anyone have a reliable spec for the carrier bearing preload in an IRS?

I am about to start putting mine back together and have seen people spouting off anything from .006" to .030" shims per side but no real references given. I am using all new bearings and yes I have a case spreader.

Metal Head

Established Member
I've found a couple guys online that are supposed to be knowledgeable say .007" per side (.001" more per side than solid housing). This sounds right to me to account for the increased movement of the aluminum housing. Can anyone confirm?

Metal Head

Established Member
I just got off the phone with Ford racing. They had to reference the factory service manual because they didn't know either. First they tried to pass my off to the R&P installation manual which everything references the solid rear but I eventually got someone to look it up.

After establishing backlash with zero carrier bearing clearance/preload you spread the case (max .030") and add .008" to each bearing for preload. This is .002" more per side than the solid rear axles.

If someone with access to the FSM would scan that page and post it up it would be a great reference to have here. I searched for hours and could not find a validated answer anywhere.

Metal Head

Established Member
You are the man! I guess Ford racing was pulling my dick.

Going by the manual you are basically establishing zero preload on the carrier bearings with proper backlash at the same time and then adding .014" preload to the passenger side bearing.

Thanks for the link!

hotcobra03

Established Member
there is a link on site for updated info..something with plate you can build to get pinion set to stop gear whine or something like that..maybe in how to section in stickys

Users who are viewing this thread