CarPlay for 2016 Sync 3?

rambler358

Established Member
Anyone heard any news on the CarPlay update for Sync 3? I heard some sort of hardware update will be needed for 2016 Sync 3 models, and if this is true, anyone know what kind of hardware will be needed?

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Yes.. you will be required to get a new USB hub.. do not update until you have gotten the hub..

The update should be end of summer.. Sept or so..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Thanks. Is the new USB hub something that can be self-installed, or will the dealer need to do it?

Im not 100% sure.. it looks like the connector will be different.. Im not sure how Ford will handle this update.. they have pushed it back from summer to quarter 3 now.. so.. who knows whats going to happen.. Ford has dropped the ball on this one..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Yes.. 17s will ship with car play and nothing on your end is needed.. just plug phone in and you're good to go..

splummer1980

Hi, I just went on the Ford site today (9/14/16) and did the live chat to inquire about the status of the Apple CarPlay update for 2016 MY Sync 3 equipped vehicles. Here is the quote from the online chat agent...
"Currently, we are still waiting for more details regarding that update. The update is going to be released this year, but I do not have a date available for you at this time. Please keep an eye on your Ford Owner account for any notifications regarding the update here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html"

rambler358

Established Member
I just did the live chat today (12/28/2016), and was told there has been no information given regarding this update. I have to assume it's no longer going to happen, since Ford stated it would be out by the end of 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread