Carpentery Question

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Can the lower cord of a truss be cut into or notched out?

I have 9 foot 5 inch ceiling in my garage with a bedroom above.... I would like to install a 4 post car lift and I could use a few extra inches (4 or more) to have the cars fit. I am pretty tight with the clearance now....

Can the ceiling be raised only in the area where the car would be close to the ceiling? Or can some sort of tray ceiling be created to get me that extra space?

Any help would be appreciated...

tistan

Established Member
You cant start cutting the truss. They are engineered for their span and load calcuations. If you have a 16" tall truss then cut it down to 12" it will sag. The only thing you could do, and I don't recommend it unless you have a lot of experience, is cut the truss and header them off with a micorlam or parallam. Then box the trey in with microlams or parallams to carry the weight load. Then you can run smaller joist between the microlam. Your local lumber yard should be able to calculate the span and load and size the microlam for you. This is a major job for someone who isn't an experienced builder.

Last edited:

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
Hire a local engineer to come take a look... he/she would be able to get you a plan on how to do it safely.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Looks like a no go. I don't have experience to do something like that. Shame I really want t a lift in the garage

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Hard to say if this will work without seeing house. What if you laid a sub floor on room above garage? This would become new floor for room or at least take some load off the current joist supporting it. Would require you to pull up flooring currently in room tho and might be more headaches than its worth.

I will ask my dad when I see him later since he is a contractor if he has any ideas, but like I said hard to say without seeing it.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
Hard to say if this will work without seeing house. What if you laid a sub floor on room above garage? This would become new floor for room or at least take some load off the current joist supporting it.

Please dont take this advice. I design houses. The best advice that was given was "Hire an engineer to come out an take a look." All other advice is just stupid.:beer:

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I may just leave it alone......or buy the lift (Bendpak) (as I can get a nice price for it through my company) and use it to do small repairs and then relocate it whenever I get the space for it.....

I am having an engineer come over though anyway to give me guidance...

Thanks everyone for the help....

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id buy it too still, even if you can only lift vehicles 2-3' off the ground its still a shitton easier to do it with a lift.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Never cut or notch a truss. Even if Joe down the road says he's done it and everything is fine, good for Joe. Don't do it. Get an engineer to come and give it a look, if you have to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread