Carlisle Ford Nationals

kallen

Established Member
I'll be making the trek down to Carlisle this year, never been so I'm looking for some insight or tips on how to make the most of the experience. I'll be down there Wednesday night to Monday, looking for suggestions on just about anything. What time do you usually get to the fairgrounds? Best restaurants in the area? Places to stay AWAY from? Feel free to share your experiences, any information is appreciated.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Thursday everything is being set up but you can walk around, scope everything out and make a game plan for Friday and Saturday of what you want to see.

I usually spend Friday walking the swap meet, row by row. Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers.

Saturday the show field is packed, again plan on lots of walking.

Sunday not worth going to, everyone is packing up and leaving.

In addition to sneakers, bring a pair of boots, if it rains, there will be a lot of mud. And bring an umbrella just in case.

There is plenty of food choices at the showfield, especially under the grandstands, both breakfast and lunch is served. If you are entering a car or truck on the show, bring a cooler and stock it with your own drinks, so you’re not paying $3-4 for a bottle of soda or water.

The swap meet to me is all about negotiating, if you see something Friday you like but the price is high, check back late Saturday afternoon before you leave and make an offer.

Plenty of local restaurants, wal Marts, gas stations, etc in the area. Hoss restaurant is a local chain kind of like a ponderosa or bonanza, but no alcohol.

I’ve been going since 94, won a few awards, but in all honesty I could care less if I win something or not. I just enjoy seeing so much stuff in one place.

Also, are you entering the show? If you were not planning on it but do have a Ford, enter it, it’s cheaper than paying each day for parking and then the admission charge, and it gets you and a guest in. I’ve done this a few years, entered my truck, an old Lincoln town car, a Focus, etc.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Yes, entering gets you great parking, in the showfield. Highly recommended. Or you can camp at the field immediately next door, and walk through a side gate in the woods to enter the grounds. It's run by the firehouse

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Dave pretty much nailed it.

If you're looking to get good parking in your class, get there as early as possible (I'm usually there by 8am so I can park at the top of the hill Saturday). Friday and Sunday don't matter to me as much so I'm usually there by 11.

As Dave said, Friday is a busy-ish day, Saturday is THE day, Sunday is the day everyone leaves. I normally stop by the grounds for a couple hours, say goodbye to friends then head off.

The expo center across the street is where Ford has all new vehicles on display as well as a test drive event. They also give out free shirts so I always go and do that on Friday when it isn't as busy.

Here are some threads from prior Carlisles, I am waiting for the year Sid actually launches the SVTPerformance tent on the fairgrounds.

2014 (2011-12-13 inside)

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn this year with a few friends, I stayed at the best western across the street last year which was alright, little dated. I'm sure most of the hotels if not all within Carlisle are booked up by now, they fill fast.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We found it really is a lot easier to pay to enter the car in the show, because you get good parking and if you are buying stuff it is less of a walk. Also as mentioned, you need to prepare for for at least a short rain storm. We have camped at the nearby state park and Dogwood acres. The kids love that place. Makes for a good family time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kallen

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I registered my cobra for the show, it actually saved money and my car won't be out in the regular lot. Staying at the hampton inn so hopefully thats not a dive. I planned on leaving Monday but now not so sure if everyone else leaves Sunday.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Hampton Inn's are pretty nice, that's our go to hotel.

I'm close enough to drive up a couple days, going to try to at least make Saturday.

Blown38

Established Member
Middlesex diner is great for breakfast. It is the opposite direction from the fair grounds from the Hampton.

The Hampton is one of the nicer hotels.

Traffic getting to the show saturday morning sucks. Get up early.

And everything else everybody else said.

kallen

Established Member
Cool, I'll probably check out that diner Thursday, I'm up at 3 am for work so I shouldn't have a problem getting there early lol. Thanks for all the replies, looking forward to this

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread