carfax shows exceeds mechanical limits but only 73k?

2mchtoy

Established Member
Hi guys. Maybe someone has ran across this issue before. looking at buying a car and its has exceeds mechanical limits on title. I pulled a carfax and all the odometer history looks good and in order. when the car was brought from Indiana and registered in ia is when the odometer was reported. I was ready to buy it and then asked to look at the title and that's when i noticed it. I called off the sale unless he could get it removed. Well even if he gets it revived off the title it still shows on the carfax and i don't want any issues if i ever decide to sell it. Is this a serious issue that would keep you from buying the car? options?
Thanks
Tom

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You didnt say what kind of vehicle.

The past 2 vehicles I bought said "exceeds mechanical limits", but that was a 92 F250 with 258k on the odo, and a 1971 AM General. I also have a 68 Jeepster that says it, but it was inherited.

BriansZ

Established Member
You could contact CarFax and open a ticket to get it removed, they sometimes make mistakes. For example, when I went to trade in my wife's Tahoe the dealership showed us that the CarFax said the airbags were deployed in 8/10, which is when a car hit the back of us. It was just a minor fender bender which only damaged the bumper of our car and set off the airbags in the other. I sent them a copy of the police report and they took it off within a day.

I'd ask the seller to contact carfax and let you know once it's taken care of.

Last edited:

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
You could contact CarFax and open a ticket to get it removed, they sometimes make mistakes. For example, when I went to trade in my wife's Tahoe the dealership showed us that the CarFax said the airbags were deployed in 8/10, which is when a car hit the back of us. It was just a minor fender bender which only damaged the bumper of our car and set off the airbags in the other. I sent them a copy of the police report and they took it off within a day.

I'd ask the seller to contact carfax and let you know once it's taken care of.

this. ive had a small issue with a carfax showing the mileage was inconsistent. a few emails and a picture of the mileage fixed the carfax in days.

2mchtoy

Established Member
The mileage is consistent. I've heard of people registering a car in a different state to wash the title. I called my friend at a dealership and he said he wouldn't pay more than 8k for it. oh its a 98 ws6 trans am. And carfax wouldntt do a buy back because of the odometer discrepancy. i think something happened between Indiana and IA.

Users who are viewing this thread