Carbotech 1521 pad review

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
At 44k the one of the stock rear pads was done, so I figured I would upgrade pads, pretty things up and replace all the fluid. After reading lots of threads I went with carbotech street pads (1521). I removed and painted the callipers, and had all 4 rotors turned. The front pads and rotors had already been replaced by the PO (non-performance stuff likely done at some brake shop). Not sure if I got air in the secondary circuits of the ABS, but after bleeding, engaging abs, bleeding.... The pedal is hard and all seems OK, but I am not impressed with the new pads. The initial bite is and overall feel is not as good as what I took off. For $270, I expected an improvement. They do work better warmed up, but still take a lot of pedal effort for hard braking. I followed carbotech's bedding process. They do seem to produce less brake dust. I've got about 700 miles on them now.

I also had hell with sealing issues. I replaced a few of the copper washers and the new ones leaked just a bad. I got the leaks stopped without stripping any threads, but what a pain.

Tractionless1

Established Member
About what I've read from others and why I didn't go with them. GT500 guys are having much success with Autozone Ceramics of all choices! I chose Autozone HD's as I'm not a fan of ceramics. I like them so far but since installation with new rotors I just got to the mileage point of being able to bed the pads and season the rotors. Once done they should be even better. I run SS lines at all corners and ATE brake fluid.

At 44k the one of the stock rear pads was done, so I figured I would upgrade pads, pretty things up and replace all the fluid. After reading lots of threads I went with carbotech street pads (1521). I removed and painted the callipers, and had all 4 rotors turned. The front pads and rotors had already been replaced by the PO (non-performance stuff likely done at some brake shop). Not sure if I got air in the secondary circuits of the ABS, but after bleeding, engaging abs, bleeding.... The pedal is hard and all seems OK, but I am not impressed with the new pads. The initial bite is and overall feel is not as good as what I took off. For $270, I expected an improvement. They do work better warmed up, but still take a lot of pedal effort for hard braking. I followed carbotech's bedding process. They do seem to produce less brake dust. I've got about 700 miles on them now.

I also had hell with sealing issues. I replaced a few of the copper washers and the new ones leaked just a bad. I got the leaks stopped without stripping any threads, but what a pain.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I didn't like my 1521s when first installed but after literally a couple thousand miles, they feel much better. Initial bite is significantly improved, good but not great. Stopping power overall is very good. Dust level is relatively low and, if I recall correctly, it's supposed to be non-corrosive.

Not positive I'd buy them again, but I don't feel compelled to pull them off prematurely either.

Users who are viewing this thread