Carbon Fiber License plates

96cobrakid

Established Member
So since Ive sold the Cobra I had also recently sold the vette and moved into a house. I also took a new job working out of town for 3 weeks out of the month.

But anyway, my buddy who lives with me and I are going to start doing Carbon Fiber. I havn't forgot my SN95 guys and their lack of love from the aftermarket. I would love to get into all sorts of interior pieces and even fenders ect. I have been doing weeks of research and feel very confidently about this.

But we are underway on our first project and are going to make a license plate for his 1972 Plymouth Scamp project. He has vintage plates we are going to reproduce. We are going to repaint the letters as well.

DISCLAIMER: These are going to be for shows and not intended to be registered or anything of that nature. I'll have pics up of them hopefully tomorrow. Does that sound like anything you guys would be interested in?

100_4971Medium.jpg

100_4972Medium.jpg

Sanding and polishing out the old plate to make the Mold.
100_4974Medium.jpg

Before Wax
100_4976Medium.jpg

Front and Back
100_4977Medium.jpg

:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Isnt it illegal to reproduce licence plates?

For the parts, are you doing solid carbon fiber, an overlay sticker type or a carbon covered part?

96cobrakid

Established Member
Isnt it illegal to reproduce licence plates?

For the parts, are you doing solid carbon fiber, an overlay sticker type or a carbon covered part?

Im sure it might be, but for the novelty, I think it would be alright. Plus it is a good project to start on. Im sure Ford has a patent on a Fender, but people reproduce those :shrug: And it is gonna be a new piece of CF, not an overlay. The old plate will be just as it always has been.

96cobrakid

Established Member
i would love to get interior carbon fiber! maybe even a carbon fiber door panel

I defiantly want to do the interior pieces. I always wanted them when I had my 95 Cobra. What other pieces would you guys like? Here is the picture of the plate and the valve cover with PVA drying. Kinda boring...

100_4986Medium.jpg

100_4985Medium.jpg

96cobrakid

Established Member
I was posting the pics as we were working on it, we will see how it turns out tomorrow. We've made a mold for a 318 Valve Cover and put the Carbon on the plate.

100_4987Medium.jpg

100_4989Medium.jpg

100_4991Medium.jpg

100_4992Medium.jpg

100_4994Medium.jpg

100_4995Medium.jpg

100_4997Medium.jpg

100_4999Medium.jpg

100_5002Medium.jpg

100_5006Medium.jpg

100_5009Medium.jpg

100_5012Medium.jpg

LDC2335

Established Member
cool idea's,

ill take a some full cf door cup replacements, and a full radio bezel...lol

96cobrakid

Established Member
Well unfortunatly I had to head out for work for 2 weeks today, but I got some pics of the mold from my buddy at home. The mold for the valve cover turned out perfect. Couldnt be happier. The plate looks great, you can read all the letters perfectly BUT I didnt vacuum bag it like I knew I should and I got some air bubbles on it. It was a good learning experiance and the learning curve with this stuff is rediculous! lol Ill keep everyone updated when I get into more projects. It was definatly very cool to mess with.

And the Carbon comes in yards. It was about 42 bucks a yard. there were about 200.00 worth of materials

100_5015Medium.jpg

Mold4.jpg

Mold5.jpg

Last edited:

96cobrakid

Established Member
The learning curve can only be understood hands on lol. I have done weeks of research and felt confident while we were making the parts we did. I felt like I knew every step, but we just didnt know how the materials would be until we had them, Vacuum bagging stuff will be purchased before I get home and hopefully in two weeks will be back at another new project :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread