carb number

bullitt890

Established Member
thanks for the quick response guys.

hey mike, i got my hood popped tonight by city pd. i just got off the phone with jake about it. got me for the headers and excessive noise. i was cruising in 3rd at about 2000 rpm!!! i'm supposed to get the noise ticket signed off at the pd station and i'm supposed to go to the smog ref. didn't you have to do that?

Bullitt4110

Established Member
bullitt890 said:
thanks for the quick response guys.

hey mike, i got my hood popped tonight by city pd. i just got off the phone with jake about it. got me for the headers and excessive noise. i was cruising in 3rd at about 2000 rpm!!! i'm supposed to get the noise ticket signed off at the pd station and i'm supposed to go to the smog ref. didn't you have to do that?
Yup got the same ticket when I had the Cobra. You do not need to take it to the ref you can just pay the ticket, it is like $315 but that is a lot easier than taking off your headers. I guess you just need to get a stock H and catback to get the noise ticket signed off.

bullitt890

Established Member
$315? damn that sucks. it passed smog with the shorties, catted slp x and lm1 catback. i'm pretty sure when i throw the cats back on the x tomorrow it will pass the noise test. another guy in town has a dhg bullitt with just lm1's and got the same excessive noise ticket from the same cop. he went down the next day and got it signed off by another cop without changing anything. and theres no way i'm taking the x off or putting the stock muffs back on! every time i've done any midpipe work its been a nightmare and i cut the stock catback to get it out. feel like coming over tomorrow night and putting my stock midpipe back on? i still have it. :D

bullitt890

Established Member
i've been on the phone with the pd, the court, state research board, and the smog ref. i'm in deep shit. the court said its not going away until i get a letter from the smog ref stating that everything checks out. that means stock headers and midpipe. and the pd said they wont sign off the noise violation until 100% stock exhuast is on the car. what a bunch of fk bags.
so, jake, mike, you guys ready to wrench? this is unbelievable.

bullitt890

Established Member
bdcardinal said:
yup, only OEM is legal for cats. BBK and JBA have CARB apprived shorties. technically any modification to the exhaust is illegal in CA.
can you tell me where you got the information on the shorties? everything i've read says that there are no approved headers in ca. some are ARB ok'd, but none are CARB ok'd. if i have to go to the ref, i'm going to be screwed i think. ford shorties wont pass, but stock mid pipe and slp lm1's should be ok.

01strimbullitt

BYAH!
Established Member
you will pass ref with stock mid pipe and your cat back... they wont think to kindly to the shorties... but what can you do... get some beer and we can make an afternoon out of it... just gimme a call...

bullitt890

Established Member
mf'ers
this sucks. i think i'm going to get the '68 coupe together. that ought to piss some people off. smog? what smog! :mj:

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
i got one of those ticket not long ago too. i just had a PO. come out & hear it. he i told him i was running straight headders whn i got pulled over. he told me it sounded good, & wrote it off. im still running no cats & long tubes.. just try it, if it dont work oh well, pay the ticket. headers are a bitch to install.

Last edited:

01strimbullitt

BYAH!
Established Member
i agree with the above... if you go to the courthouse and try to get it signed off all they can say is no... then take the headers off... bullitt4110 had no cats on his cobra and got a ref ticket... just paid the fine and it was over...

bullitt890

Established Member
CHUXSVT said:
i got one of those ticket not long ago too. i just had a PO. come out & hear it. he i told him i was running straight headders whn i got pulled over. he told me it sounded good, & wrote it off. im still running no cats & long tubes.. just try it, if it dont work oh well, pay the ticket. headers are a bitch to install.
i know the install sucks, thats why i dont want to have to go through that shit again! sure wish the cops would compliment my setup rather than be dicks about it. everyone i know loves the sound!

01strimbullitt said:
i agree with the above... if you go to the courthouse and try to get it signed off all they can say is no... then take the headers off... bullitt4110 had no cats on his cobra and got a ref ticket... just paid the fine and it was over...
hey jake, i think thats my plan. i'm going to put the stock midpipe back on and go to court. praying that will work!!!! :bowdown:
so, feel like putting on a midpipe? i've got a lift, got any tools? ;-) just name your price. how about a killer deal on some parts that are sitting on my floor
still down to kick it saturday night? 890 will be parked, but not me! g/f is out of town and out of mind. :beer: what do you guys want to do?

Last edited:

Bullitt4110

Established Member
I have to work tomorrow and dont know what time I will be getting home, most likely to late to drive to Davis to work on a car, but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread