Car won't turn over after battery disconnect

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I replaced my belt and before that I disconnected my positive cable on the battery like a dumbass I left the negative connected for a couple days and it killed the battery.

I tried putting in the battery from my truck and all I hear is a single click coming from the passenger side it sounds like down low, by the solnoid maybe.

I did pull the starter relay in the BJB didn't really see anything with that it's just a square piece of plastic.

I think it's making it out of the BJB because I get the sungle ckick down by the solenoid I think or by passanger side under the cai. Toughto tell wbere exactly by myself.

I've searched all over the web any ideas on this I guess I need to check the fuse box in the cabin too.

I don't think it's my pats because my fobs seem to work , the theft light is flashing which i think is normal.

Never had a problem with the starter or anything, no issue with cables . I don't see how the starter or starter solenoid could've just gone bad from me disconnecting the battery.

Guess next step is to check the fuses in the fuse box underneath the driver side.

At a dead end, any help or input would be appreciated .

Last edited:

98cleanGT

Established Member
Always disconnect the negative cable first. With 2000+ plus cars there's always a chance of burning out the transistors in the ecm. I would suggest tapping on the starter with a hammer or the like then giving it another try.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Yeah I don't know why I forgot about disconnect negative first I just totally flaked out on that one.

I'll give that a try thanks..

Any other suggestions I'll take as well thanks for the input.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Went out this morning before work but could not get to starter without jacking the car up so I'll do that after work tonight.

So when I turn the ignition to start, I get a single click at the solenoid I think, no matter if the clutch is pushed in or not.

Starter has a hundred thousand miles on it but there's no corrosion on the cables/connections are all clean and well connected.

So this eliminates everything but:

The starter solenoid
The starter
The clutch engagement switch above the clutch pedal

Is that correct? Am I missing anything?

Last edited:

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I did whack the starter and check the clutch switch, they looked fine.

Buddy came by... Its not even clicking it all at the solenoid. Sound I was hearing was just the power cut off from the passenger side firewall or whatever for all the accessories.
So when I go to start the car my buddy has his thumb on the starter relay under the hood there's nothing he doesn't feel anything.

Sad part is my neighbor has my voltmeter and he's out of town.

Fuses look good under the dash.
Maybe my starter relay is bad maybe I should just take a chance and go buy one.

Last edited:

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Theft light blinking makes me want wonder if its a pats issue?

I do have normal fuel pressure in on position.

I don't think I saw the theft light blinking fast.

Can someone check and see when their theft light blinks please?
Like does it blink all the time, armed, unarmed and when in on positiion (car not running).
Thanks.

Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
My car is apart right now but I put a Battery Disconnect like this on the ground post.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html

BattCutoff.jpg

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Thanks.

No pats issue.

Just blinks normally and goes off in run position.

And fuel pressure too is normal.

Fuse and power check continues.

Hamad

Established Member
Hey,
I had the same problem with the one click and all, after days of trying to figure it out i found out that the starter has gone bad, replaced that and now the car is A-ok. hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread