Car won't 60

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Not really sure what's going on here so might as well start a thread? :shrug:

2013 GT, stock auto with Circle D 2C, Whipple 2.9, stock suspension except Roush upper arm/ bracket. 28" MT stiff sidewall slicks.
The car's been running pretty well and has been 60'ing consistently in the 1.52 range. If I lean on the tune a bit the best it's done is a 1.50. Not bad, but I'm trapping 131-133 depending on DA, ET's in the 10.4-.7 range.

So I thought perhaps changing up the gear might help get it in the 1.4x 60 range. Wrong! I put in a set of 3.55's I had laying around and the 60's now dropped to 1.58-1.60 consistently.

Only two things I can think of- converter's too tight and the deeper gear is loading it less causing a lower flash and less torque. Or my tires are going away. They do have about 75 passes and only a couple 32nds left in the wear holes. But, I'm not blowing them off, maybe just a little slip and slide. Unfortunately I have no video since the gear change to try to analyze.

I've seen the guys in the 1.3's with stock suspension and the same converter and I want some of that, what am I missing?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I've been looking at the MT Pro 275's. Hopefully they hook on a heavy car without LCA brackets, trying to avoid those.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I haven't had a chance to run those yet, but hear nothing but great things. I've always ran the regular M/T radials with great luck.

Also, what are you running for tire pressure on the slicks?

alex12gt

Established Member
I wish I had those 60 times lol and the street et pro is a nasty tire ran it last year think its actually why I bent my axle shaft lol but I switched to slicks this year

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I haven't had a chance to run those yet, but hear nothing but great things. I've always ran the regular M/T radials with great luck.

Also, what are you running for tire pressure on the slicks?

Been running in the 14-16 psi range. Leaning towards another set of slicks- anybody with comparable power having issues hooking a radial with marginal prep?

90coupe5oh

Established Member
Stock suspension is actually decent, needs a set of shocks in the back in a BAD way though. They're way too soft. 100% stock suspension I pulled a 1.63 60ft with a set of old 26-11.50-16 et streets in a 6spd. I feel the biggest problem is it squats too hard and unloads quickly because the rear shocks are too soft. I'm gonna try a set of strange's.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Stock suspension is actually decent, needs a set of shocks in the back in a BAD way though. They're way too soft. 100% stock suspension I pulled a 1.63 60ft with a set of old 26-11.50-16 et streets in a 6spd. I feel the biggest problem is it squats too hard and unloads quickly because the rear shocks are too soft. I'm gonna try a set of strange's.

springs are some of that too from my understanding. From what I have read the Cobra Jet springs are some of the best for shifting the weight to the rear wheels too for added grip.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Stock suspension cars have been in the 9's...I say get the radial pros and your problems will be gone, I plan to go with that tire myself. That being said I know a guy who put lowers and relocation brackets on his car recently and the 60's dropped tremendously...he's on this board - another nitrous car.

Last edited:

Torchy

Established Member
Ever thought about going a touch under 14psi (hot)? Might be a path to try. I've went as low as 10 before. Even been down to 8psi and that was NOT cool. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread