Car won’t idle right.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hello everyone. My car is having an issue and it won’t idle smooth. Almost sounds like it’s missing. The car started out with a p2197 code which was a o2 code. I took my o2 extensions out as what my tuner said and swapped back in my stock coils. Also swapped the o2s side to side. Still the same thing but the code went away and hasn’t been back. I’m changing the spark plugs today and cleaning the maf and throttle body. Any other suggestions? The car has 27k miles.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Hose off the MAF really good with appropriate cleaner. I had similar idling/running issues with my car. I then did a few quick cleaner sprays on the MAF... no joy. So I was gonna buy a new one and I figured nothing to lose, so I douched that MAF about 10 times with the spray, then let it dry. Car has run like a champ ever since.

Good luck with yours.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hose off the MAF really good with appropriate cleaner. I had similar idling/running issues with my car. I then did a few quick cleaner sprays on the MAF... no joy. So I was gonna buy a new one and I figured nothing to lose, so I douched that MAF about 10 times with the spray, then let it dry. Car has run like a champ ever since.

Good luck with yours.

ThNk you sir. I bought some maf cleaner and it didn’t work. It was really clean too. The throttle body was dirty and I also cleaned that as well. No change. So then I put new motor craft plugs in. Same thing. I’m leaning towards a bad injector now.

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

who-dat

Established Member
I had a similar issue and had a tear in my MAF gasket. Might need to seal your MAF with some silicon like I did. idles fine now and does not kill.

who-dat

Established Member
you can also research the Ford Factory Idle relearn process. If I don't follow this exactly, then my car wont idle right.

96gt02

Established Member
Have you replaced your 02 sensors or just moved them? Also are you running any 02 damaging types of fuel? and what are your tuners current thoughts on what's going on? Has it ever ran right since tuned by said tuner?

Gruca

Established Member
I had the same scenario the last two days. Did you, by chance, take your throttle body and spacer off recently? If so, did you put the o-ring back in the spacer where it meets the throttle body? That ended up being my cause. I had the same issues you did.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Thank you for the replies everyone. I datalogged for Lund and it looks like both o2s were dead! I was using 93 and that’s all that was ever put in. These sensors were only in for less than 1,000 miles. I took the sensors out and put my oem ones back in to see if the issue went away and it did. The sensor I replaced the oem with were a ford dy1185. On 4/8/2011 ford changed from a dy1165 to. Dy1185. My car was built on 4/8/2011 lol. I think I just had the wrong sensors in. I bought a dy1165 and haven’t had any more idling issues in the past week. I haven’t really drove it though.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread