Car without a title

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
found an old Jeep for sale that doesn't have a title. It is a giant pain in the ass to get one? How do you verify if the vehicle actually belongs to the person selling it? Anything else I should be aware of if I decide to do something with this thing?

MG0h3

Established Member
I'd have him file for a lost title now and then move forward. I don't know from experience but I suspect it would be easier and safer if he did it.

What's the stats on the jeep? I've got one that I'd sell but it's pretty heavily modified with a 408w.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If it's never been titled in his name you would be in for a nightmare. I have a bike that's in the same situation due to getting screwed over by a guy in Michigan. He bought it from a dealer in PA, but I have no idea their name. I've tried talking to a lawyer and they basically tell me it could end up costing more in legal fees than the damn bike is worth. I tell everyone that ask, title issues are no joke. There's no quick fix.

99-venom

Established Member
You can get a bonded title. I think they last for a year and if anyone come forward as the true owner you'll be forced to hand over the vehicle.

What year is it? Back in NM, they didn't really care as long as the vehicle couldn't be found on any states recent (10-20 years) registration. For instance, my dad pulled an old 63 falcon out of a snow bank. Took the car to the DMV for inspection and walked away with a clean title. Things have probably change since then...

99-venom

Established Member
I'd deal with a title issue for $500 Cherokee... The bonded title will cost a couple hundred. All you need is a bill of sale from the current owner.

jbs$

Established Member
No title = no deal, unless you wish a lot of pain in the ass trouble and expense on your self.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
No title = no deal, unless you wish a lot of pain in the ass trouble and expense on your self.

This.

I've had a few friends go down this path of misery.

It's awful, expensive and potentially there is no resolution at he end. Can't even scrap a car without a title.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It's a 1991 Jeep Cherokee that needs a freeze plug (probably motor rebuild if they admit to that) for $700 obo. Thought it might be a fun project.

That may not even be a possibility for him.

It's certainly not an option in Indiana, Illinois or Michigan.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It's a 1991 Jeep Cherokee that needs a freeze plug (probably motor rebuild if they admit to that) for $700 obo. Thought it might be a fun project.

Tell the owner to order a new damn title. In Indiana it's like $35 and takes 5 days to get.

If it wasn't titled in his name, walk away. It's likely jumped five owners and was used off road without plates or insurance.

Blackoyote

Established Member
If it's theirs they can even sign over ownership to a new person without having the title in hand (here in NC it's the MVR4 form, to be filled out with buyer and seller at DMV at the same time). If it wasn't ever titled/registered in their name, you're in for a journey of headaches and dead ends.

99-venom

Established Member
Its really easy to get a bonded title in Texas. I wouldn't start working on the jeep until you have it secured in your name just in case something unforeseen pops up.

Blackoyote

Established Member
He said that he had a title, just doesn't remember if he transferred it to his name or not.

It's easy to find out...can just call your states licensing agency and they'll tell you the last owners name based on the VIN. He's probably full of shit, and bought it with no title thinking he'd be able to get a title and is done with the headache.

Considering you can get a running Cherokee for around $1k that has a title, I wouldn't mess with it.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It's easy to find out...can just call your states licensing agency and they'll tell you the last owners name based on the VIN. He's probably full of shit, and bought it with no title thinking he'd be able to get a title and is done with the headache.

Considering you can get a running Cherokee for around $1k that has a title, I wouldn't mess with it.

This TIMES ONE THOUSAND!!

A non-running Cherokee without a title for $500? Uh no.

He can't remember if he titled it? That means it wasn't running when he got it.

So yeah, title jump city.

How can people be so stupid and so careless with their possessions?

Like how do you own a car and never transfer ownership to your own name?

Because your a cheap piece of crap and can't fork over $80 in ref fees? Then you don't need to be buying cars.

Users who are viewing this thread