Car Wheeled Out: How to Maintain?

Z06KILLR

Established Member
Hey guys,

The detailer finished up the car yesterday. I wasnt home when he left as I wanted to speak with him on how to maintain it. I'll see him Saturday and ask but I want some other opinions/experiences.

I've always been a bucket and soap kind of guy which i know is frowned upon. With the water being so hard here i obviously need to move on (not to mention pushing the dirty water into the paint, etc)

What do you guys do to clean up your cars? meguiars spray wax and clean micro fiber towels? it just makes my skin crawl like i'm pushing dirt into the paint.

Anyways any advice is appreciated.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
bucket and soap method is fine, just make it the two bucket method, get some grit guards and find 2 buckets they fit in. Theres some good guides an autopia and other detailing forums Im sure

crazycarlo

Established Member
The preferred wash method is the 2 bucket mentioned above. But before you do that you could always get a foam gun and use that before you wash it to loosen up any loose dirt on it. Also there are multiple waterless wash/rinses out there. If you want you can get a PH balanced soap so you know it has no negative effects on your paint.

RC-5.0

Established Member
IMO, the 2 bucket method is a waste of time. If you just use the hose to rinse your sponge/mitt before dipping it back in the soap you're just fine. Just rinse the car off really well before wiping it with anything. I use all the stuff from here:

Adam's Polishes - Adam's Basic Wash Kit

Their "Car Shampoo" is the best stuff. The mitt that comes in that kit is awesome. I encourage you to look at their vids, even if you dont buy from them
RC

mach14604

Established Member
IMO, the 2 bucket method is a waste of time. If you just use the hose to rinse your sponge/mitt before dipping it back in the soap you're just fine. Just rinse the car off really well before wiping it with anything.

So you go to the hose and turn it on every time to rinse the mitt out and the two bucket method is a waste of time?

20redfire03

Established Member
I understand the concept of the 2 bucket method but after rinsing the mitt once in the 1st bucket then into the 2nd bucket with soap, wouldn't you be rinsing the mitt in the 1st bucket again with "dirty" water then putting it right into the soap. Wouldn't it be cross contamination in a sense therefore defeating the purpose?

And rinsing the mitt off before putting it back in the soap seems best, not the most environmentally friendly since your wasting more water, but you wouldn't be putting the dirt into the soap that your using to wash the car. Also you wouldn't have to turn the hose on each time unless you don't have a spray nozzle on the hose.

RC-5.0

Established Member
So you go to the hose and turn it on every time to rinse the mitt out and the two bucket method is a waste of time?

NO, I dont walk back and forth and turn the water on every time to rinse the mitt. They have this new technology that M.I.T and R.P.I TOP PH.D engineers just developed called a "Spray Nozzle". It goes on the end of your hose and keeps water from flowing out even when the knob is left open. I was in the lucky few to get to grab one before the public got wind of it, so I just keep that RIGHT NEXT to my wash bucket. I just PRESS THE TRIGGER and water comes out. It saves me a BUNCH of time walking back and forth to turn the hose on and off. I think they are now available to the public. :nonono:

RC

Phantom

El Jeffe 302
Established Member
I've maintained a near flawless finish for years using the 2 bucket method on a Black 04 Cobra. Quality wash mitt, quality towels make a huge difference. Take time and do it right.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
NO, I dont walk back and forth and turn the water on every time to rinse the mitt. They have this new technology that M.I.T and R.P.I TOP PH.D engineers just developed called a "Spray Nozzle". It goes on the end of your hose and keeps water from flowing out even when the knob is left open. I was in the lucky few to get to grab one before the public got wind of it, so I just keep that RIGHT NEXT to my wash bucket. I just PRESS THE TRIGGER and water comes out. It saves me a BUNCH of time walking back and forth to turn the hose on and off. I think they are now available to the public. :nonono:

RC

Hahah, well played! I do the same and was fortunate enough to grab a hold of the 'new' technology :poke:

RC-5.0

Established Member
I understand the concept of the 2 bucket method but after rinsing the mitt once in the 1st bucket then into the 2nd bucket with soap, wouldn't you be rinsing the mitt in the 1st bucket again with "dirty" water then putting it right into the soap. Wouldn't it be cross contamination in a sense therefore defeating the purpose?

And rinsing the mitt off before putting it back in the soap seems best, not the most environmentally friendly since your wasting more water, but you wouldn't be putting the dirt into the soap that your using to wash the car. Also you wouldn't have to turn the hose on each time unless you don't have a spray nozzle on the hose.

THAT's another reason I dont do it personally. I set my mitt on a second "bucket grate" right on the ground and spray it off, then dip it back in the soapy water. I would also add that when my car is just "due for a wash" but doesnt necessarily "look" dirty, I just use the bucket with grate without rinsing the mitt. Never had an issue, and there is rarely any noticeable residue at the bottom. I only rinse in between when the car LOOKS really dirty when I start.

Having said all that...anyone who wants to use 2 bucekts.. go ahead..Doesnt hurt..I just dont find it necessary personally:thumbsup:
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
Hahah, well played! I do the same and was fortunate enough to grab a hold of the 'new' technology :poke:

Hehe..you and I are the lucky ones. I just felt in a
"Ray Barone comedic" mood this morning instead of just arguing back... MORE fun that way! :beer::lol:
RC

mach14604

Established Member

RC

Wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess I see your point. I guess I forget some people still use trigger type nozzles. I stopped using a trigger type nozzle years ago. I use this now LCP81-207 - Fire Hose Nozzle. My theory is that it puts out more water that the trigger nozzles. i like the power it has when pre washing and and like the amount of water it produces to throughly rise the car with no soap residue.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Wasn't trying to be a dick. I guess I see your point. I guess I forget some people still use trigger type nozzles. I stopped using a trigger type nozzle years ago. I use this now LCP81-207 - Fire Hose Nozzle. My theory is that it puts out more water that the trigger nozzles. i like the power it has when pre washing and and like the amount of water it produces to throughly rise the car with no soap residue.

NP man...just having some fun with that :beer:

1badsilversvt

turn up the boost
Established Member
no, i dont walk back and forth and turn the water on every time to rinse the mitt. They have this new technology that m.i.t and r.p.i top ph.d engineers just developed called a "spray nozzle". It goes on the end of your hose and keeps water from flowing out even when the knob is left open. I was in the lucky few to get to grab one before the public got wind of it, so i just keep that right next to my wash bucket. I just press the trigger and water comes out. It saves me a bunch of time walking back and forth to turn the hose on and off. I think they are now available to the public. :nonono:

Rc

lol

Stanglovin

There's no hate with a V8
Established Member
IMO, the 2 bucket method is a waste of time. If you just use the hose to rinse your sponge/mitt before dipping it back in the soap you're just fine. Just rinse the car off really well before wiping it with anything. I use all the stuff from here:

Adam's Polishes - Adam's Basic Wash Kit

Their "Car Shampoo" is the best stuff. The mitt that comes in that kit is awesome. I encourage you to look at their vids, even if you dont buy from them
RC

I just watched that entire how-to video, very informative and seems promising... I'll definitely be going this route as spring rolls around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread