Car vibrating at idle??

SicShelby09

Banned
I haven't driven the car that much for a couple of months. But just yesterday I took it out to work. As I was sitting in traffic, I noticed that the car was shaking/vibrating quite a bit. Not bad, but like a constant vibrating. It was making my water bottle shake ever so slightly. And I couldnt remember if this was normal. I do remember that the car would shimmy once a minute or something and that was normal. I remember reading a service message from ford about it. But this is very different. So I flashed back from my AED tune to stock to make sure it wasnt the tune. And the stocker did the same exact thing, and that shimmy/roughness was back which I know to be normal. This vibration can also be felt when you put your hand on the hood or engine. As far as I remember, it was butter smooth accept for that shimmy that is normal. Anyone have any ideas, or could you check out your car to see if you can feel it? Mine only does it when its fully warmed up, sitting in or out of gear at idle. Im worried one of the motor mounts is toast or something.

:??:

ebman

Established Member
my 11 a6 idles in or out of gear smooth minus the random "stumble" every once in a while.might try scanning for codes? i know on older vehicles codes could be stored sometimes without throwing the CEL. not sure if thats still the case though.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Both my 11 and 12 shake a bit at idle. My 08 did as well, though not as much. The 4.6 was a smoother motor than the 5.0 which I attribute to that fact.

scott_0

Established Member
my car does this as well, Id say its nothing to worry about

kevinp

Established Member
Both my 11 and 12 shake a bit at idle. My 08 did as well, though not as much. The 4.6 was a smoother motor than the 5.0 which I attribute to that fact.

+1

4.6s are glass smooth at idle when healthy compared to these. They run these super lean at idle and you get the random what feels like a missfire, bothered me at first but I'm used to it. I dont get any constant vibration but I do notice with the warmer weather with the AC on and the cooling fan at high speed it does idle a little rougher.

SicShelby09

Banned
Mine does it sometimes. You may want to try an idle re-learn after a KAM reset just in case.

Mike

Yeah I did that. But the I havent done an idle reset. I flashed back to the lopey tune, and obviously now I dont have this issue because the car is shaking like a mother....love it. But I cant help wonder if maybe it shaking from loping may have screwed one or both of the motor mounts? Its this possible?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Yeah I did that. But the I havent done an idle reset. I flashed back to the lopey tune, and obviously now I dont have this issue because the car is shaking like a mother....love it. But I cant help wonder if maybe it shaking from loping may have screwed one or both of the motor mounts? Its this possible?

I seriously doubt that. You can always tighten them up, just to see.

Mike

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah, I think I just need to check out another GT to see if its the same. This is really bothering me. My car has only 7500 miles, and has been great.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah, I think I just need to check out another GT to see if its the same. This is really bothering me. My car has only 7500 miles, and has been great.

i have the same thing and i have 27000 miles

the firing order i believe changed

SicShelby09

Banned
i have the same thing and i have 27000 miles

the firing order i believe changed

So your car vibrates ever so slightly? Because the misfire feeling I know is normal, and the AED tunes almost dont have that either. But the car vibrating, is what I dont remember. Its like if you put a glass of water on the dash, and you can see it shaking at a high frequency. Not the miss every once in a while. Is that what you have too??

ViciousJay

Established Member
So your car vibrates ever so slightly? Because the misfire feeling I know is normal, and the AED tunes almost dont have that either. But the car vibrating, is what I dont remember. Its like if you put a glass of water on the dash, and you can see it shaking at a high frequency. Not the miss every once in a while. Is that what you have too??

Im sorry i should have re-worded this, between the 4.6 and 5.0 the firing order i believe changed which could make the car vibrate. As for the car vibrating a bit i have it too and just look at it as the car is shaking cuz of da powaaaaaaa :lol1:

SicShelby09

Banned
Does anyone know if this idle relearn procedure actually works?? Drew, have you ever did this? I have been flashing back and forth between tunes alot, and I have been disconnecting the battery to clear out the old parameters.

Untitled-1.png

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Does anyone know if this idle relearn procedure actually works?? Drew, have you ever did this? I have been flashing back and forth between tunes alot, and I have been disconnecting the battery to clear out the old parameters.

Untitled-1.png

It works, especially if you have been doing constant KAM resets.

60 seconds in neutral, parking break engaged (Kingnut would be so happy), idling.

60 seconds of the same, only with the A/C running. Then, drive it around for about 10 miles.

I have found that my car sometimes will vibrate at idle, and sometimes it is smooth as glass. Usually when I flash a new tune, I will have some surge as well from the JLT. After a short amount of time, the computer learns and that goes away as well.

This is all normal stuff, and nothing to worry about.

Mike

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah I drove the car to work today, and I noticed it wasnt as bad as the last time I drove it last week. But Im going to do this on my lunch today.

Users who are viewing this thread