Car Turns off for no Reason. (Help)

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Do you mean as you are slowing like for a turn or something. Or do you mean just sitting at idle the ignition turns off? If you mean while moving, you push the clutch in as you are slowing down and your car dies, this is the dreaded "stall" that has been posted several times here. You can do a search on stall and find several days worth of reading, but no one that I have heard has found a widespread solution yet. Some have replaced their IAC (Idle Air Controler) and it got better...

And yes, if you mess with the intake on our cars, it has been know to cause stalling. 03 Cobras are very sensitive in this area. Did you reset your computer after this install (pull the negative battery connection for about 15 min.)?

MustangRacer310

Established Member
Car Turns off...

Hi DD2000GT

Thank you for your response. I did disconnect the battery for about 2 min, not for 15 min.

About turning off... It happens when I come to a stop and I have put the gear in N. It's weird, it happens at different times. Sometimes for a couple of days it doesn't happen and sometimes it happens twice in one day. I happen right when I come to a stop or when I take my foot off the gas and put it in N. Do you have any Idea what this could be?

Thank You

MongoCobra

Established Member
do a search on the stall. there is a lot of info here about it. check the TPS voltage first....

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
That definately sounds like the stall issue. I would first try disconnecting the negative battery lead, turn on your fog lights to fully drain the system, and reconnect after 15 min. If this doesn't help, try cleaning the IAC with brake cleaner, or better yet, replace it completely with a Lightning (the truck) IAC valve. It has a much better design and is a direct bolt on replacement (no modifications necessary). I have heard this has helped. I recommend research first before spending cash...

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by MustangRacer310
Hi,

I have a 03 Cobra with 2700 miles on it. The only upgarde that I have is a 95 mm C&L MAF http://www.cnlperformance.com/95mm_03cobra.html
The Car Turns off sometimes for no reason. Could this be because of the C&L MAF? Any help is appriciated.

Thank You

Do the gauges sweep all the way to the right when you restart the car? If so you have the same problem I did. The negative battery cable was pinched at the factory and had to be replaced. My car would turn itself off at various times. It will still stall but this was a different issue.

Users who are viewing this thread