Car stereo question Audio Gurus Step Inside!!

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
Hello all,

So I have the shaker 500 NAV/SYNC system in my 2011. I am sure everyone on this site can agree that the stock 6X8 speakers are total garbage. With that said, I have been doing some research as to what brand I would like to upgrade to. I read that the 4 speakers operate from power supplied by the head unit and that the subs in the doors are amplified by an amp located under the dash. I also read that the HU supplies 12v RMS to the stock speakers (really? 12v:().

So with this information I started looking at a good replacement speaker that has a 93db sensitivity rating an appropriate RMS range to handle the extreme power of the stock HU LOL. :nonono:

I also noticed a lot of individuals recommending infinity refrence/Kappa's. (I have these in my infiniti g20 and love them.) However, what interest me is that they are 2 ohm speakers and I am willing to bet the Nav/Sync shaker unit is 4 ohms and not load sensing.

I always thought it was taboo to mix and match impedance levels, but yet Crutchfield even recommended them. So my questions is has anybody encountered any issues, like overheating, with the stock HU while running a 2 ohm speaker? Am i missing something?

nxhappy

Established Member
you need to verify the ohms on the nav and go from there.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
I found a pair of infinity reference speakers that are 3 ohms that fit the bill this should work given the resistance in the wire /wiring harness I dont think it will be an issue :beer:

SuperFly03

Established Member
There are plenty of good brands that are 4 ohm. You can also wire two sets of two ohm speakers in series to deal with that. Replace the "subs" with a component set of 5 1/4. Just depends what you want to do. Based on what you've said All I hear is you're concerned about matching ohms. Match them and let's go from there.

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
So far i've replaced the front 6x8's with infinity Kappa 6x8. Huge improvement !! I'm gonna upgrade the rears to 6x9 Kappas .I also have the kicker 8 inch subs but haven't put them in yet .I'm eventually gonna get a Kenwood head unit and the Maestro interface with a 5 channel amp and put 2 -12s in the rear

Users who are viewing this thread