Car starting problems

oxw01svt

Established Member
so im on my way to work today and i stopped to get a bite to eat. I get back to my car and it wont start. So i get help from a guy from work and he tries to jump start my car so i hear the starter trying to turn over and still no luck. Now im thinking the battery is dead and i need a new battery. So now im waitin for my friend to come pick me up to get a new battery and i figured what the hell so i get back in the car and try to start it and it starts the first turn. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
is the car cranking over at all? If not, then its the starter. Could be battery as well, maybe the alternator is not charging it when running. How old is the battery.

oxw01svt

Established Member
the battery was on the car when i bought it, its a yellow top optima battery. the car doors wouldnt lock and no lights worked, but 10 min. after i took the jumper cables off the car started rite up first turn of the key.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
is the car cranking over at all? If not, then its the starter. Could be battery as well, maybe the alternator is not charging it when running. How old is the battery.

Not necessarily at all.. OP, if you have problems with it starting again, take a test light, clamp the alligator clip on the test light to the frame or a bolt (ground source) and put the tip of the test light on the ground post on the starter. Have someone try to start the car, if the test light lights up and the car will not start, the starter is grounding out and is bad. If the test light does not light up, start checking ground connections.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
the battery was on the car when i bought it, its a yellow top optima battery. the car doors wouldnt lock and no lights worked, but 10 min. after i took the jumper cables off the car started rite up first turn of the key.

Sounds like a ground issue to me.

oxw01svt

Established Member
thanks un4givn, im gonna check the connections and prob have the starter tested at autozone. I think they do free tests and if its bad i guess its time to call tousley ford for a starter.

Users who are viewing this thread