Car sputtering...

pottsy

Established Member
Yesterday I filled up with what I thought was bad gas at a shitty convenience store in town. 10 miles after filling up the car fell on its face around 2-3k and got worse from there. I got home and put some ocatne booster in the car to "help" but nothing changed. This morning the mechanic I took it to put TWO bottles of "Iso-heet" in the car to get rid of any water (without my knowledge, I asked him to fix it and that's what he does). The car ran even worse.

This afternoon some friends and I dropped the tank and poured out the gas only to find it looked like Mountain Dew. We blasted out the fuel line to get all that nasty shit out of there. After I put some fresh gas in there I drove it around but the problem is still there, albeit less pronounced. We also replaced the filter while we were down there.

The problem is mostly in 2nd and 3rd. Between 2-3k rpm's the tone of the car changes somewhat and it doesn't pull as hard. Above 5,800 the car falls on its face (like hitting the brakes!) in 3rd but not 2nd. In 4th the car stumbles at low rpm's and it's even worse in 5th--punch it in 5th and it doesn't go anywhere. I've driven the car 60 miles since the work and it hasn't gotten better.

Any ideas? (Sorry for the long post, just wanted to throw everything out there).

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Maybe IMRC's. What brand of gas did you use. Some gas does look like mountain Dew.

pottsy

Established Member
I don't see how it could be the IMRC's as a) the problem started almost immediately after I filled up and b) the car doesn't really struggle over 3200 (when they open). I used Shell V-power gas, it was the first time I filled up there and it was at a convenience store, not a "full service" Shell gas station.

pottsy

Established Member
All of that stuff is relatively new Motorsport stuff. I don't think it could be them, but it might be...I'll double check to make sure.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Fuel Pump comes to mind because u said it got better after u changed the filter. Is it making any noise? Also it never hurts to pull the neg battery cable for 15 mins to reset the computer.

pottsy

Established Member
Get the car back tomorrow after sitting at the dealership for three days. They said they need to replace the "right side wiring harness" as it is shorted out and is causing the 02 sensors to malfunction and is supposedly causing the car to run rough. I took it up there when it died immediately after starting several times the other day. Of course when they drove it the first time "nothing seemed wrong." Then they called me after driving it again and running some more tests saying the car was throwing all kinds of codes.

The fuel tank was drained/cleaned along with a new filter but I left the pump in because I am bought a 255lph pump off a friend that will be put in soon. Hopefully with all this work (I'm paying for 5 hours of labor just for tomorrow's work at a local dealership, after already paying for the fuel labor!) the car will run correctly once again. :( There's no guarantee that even after that work the car will run properly, because they weren't sure the wiring was the problem, that's just their "main culprit." Damn. This is adding up fast and I'm getting nowhere.

Could some bad 02 sensors or a short in part of the wiring cause the car to sputter and not even start? Or does it sound like more of a fuel pump/delivery problem? I'm stumped, and so are the guys at the dealership...hopefully the work they're doing tomorrow fixes it...

Users who are viewing this thread