Car smoking?

snake_01

Crazy SVT
Established Member
my car smokes out of the tailpipes only when I "let off" the gas. It does not do it under normal driving only when I get on it hard. I does not smoke while I am running down the track, only at the end when I let out of it. It never smokes when I am at idle either. My tuner told me I probably put to much oil in it. meaning the extra oil has no where to go so it gets burned out the tailpipes. It had never done until the last time I changed my oil. I trust him being the he was one the first to put a four valve in the 9's. He had a write up about him in MM&FF a few years go. So, with that what do you guys think my problem is?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well how much oil did you put in it.

Id be more worried about the pcv valve if anything.

zapman

Established Member
snake_01 said:
you think my pcv valve went bad? would that cause smoking? I put 6.5 quarts of oil in my car and my tuner said never put more than 6.

I'd be scared to run down the track with only 6 quarts in my car, dont know about you but I don't want to have to pay cuz the pan ran dry and spun a rod bearing

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
snake_01 said:
you think my pcv valve went bad? would that cause smoking? I put 6.5 quarts of oil in my car and my tuner said never put more than 6.

I run 7 and have no issues with smoking. 98K too.

Try your PCV valve or replace it with breathers. If it still does it well, How padded is your wallet?

01 Venom

Established Member
ya man 6 quarts is not enough, think about it. When you wail on these cars those big ass timing chains wip the oil right up out of the pan and it dosent drain back nearly fast enough. I run 6 1/2 to 7 quarts but I am looking for an aftermarket pan with good clearance. So its not that

PCV is a cheap and easy fix, just replace it for the hell of it and see whats up after that. You could also try an oil seperator to keep some oil out of the intake.

whitevenom99

Established Member
Replace the pcv. Don't run under 6.5qts in it. I have seen a lot of engines come into the shop with spun bearings because the pan gets sucked dry on the top end.

Users who are viewing this thread