Car shuts off at high rpm

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Did a few pulls last night. Car was just warmed up did first second then about midway in,third around five grand it just shuts off. I am like whatever went out did a dig warmed up the tires then took off first gear at high rpm it shut off again. Fpulled the codes there are oxygen sensor heater code.,something about iat2 code. Any ideas?? seems like the hotter the car the faster it shuts off

Scotty B

Established Member
IAT2, IAT1, O2 & EVAP. Check your intercooler pump. If its good look for a short, bad ground or bad sensor.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
You got another cobra?[/QUOTE

yep

IAT2, IAT1, O2 & EVAP. Check your intercooler pump. If its good look for a short, bad ground or bad sensor.

Thanks, I was thinking its the IC pump. I have a ic tank all way in the back and a stock pump that is pumping it... I was thinking that its not enough because of the location how far it is and how much it has to pump so the car gets hot and shuts off. I will try to log it tomorrow and see what temps I see

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Okay little update.

IC pumps is fine and working.

Tried to datalog the car, and now its showing new symptoms (or maybe not).

Car is very hot (drove it around for about 30 minutes + traffic in 90F weather) went out on a freeway and start logging but didnt set the paramaters so I screw it up. Anyway did a pull and around 4800-5000rpm the car sort of had a feeling of "not going anywhere" and A/F was pretty lean and I heard detonation so I quickly let out and didnt try to log it because afraid of the A/F.

From this, my guess is the car isn't getting enough fuel so it stumbles/not going anywhere and I hear detonation, so I am going to check the fuel pumps tomorrow to make sure there working, also check the plugs to make sure.

Before it would just shut off now its going lean/detonating, so any ideas what it can be? Talked to a few people it seems most say its getting too hot pulling timing and shuts off, but now its going lean instead so could be a fuel related issue, maybe alternator as well but I checked my battery/alt at a store today it checked out good, so I doubt the alternator is not providing enough voltage to the pumps.

Are these autoparts store generally pretty accurate as far as alternator voltage goes?

Last edited:

can04cobra

Established Member
Did the battery light come on when it died?

I had the same issue when I first got my cobra. My battery light came on when it cut out. Then sure enough two days later alternator crapped out.

Users who are viewing this thread