Car shut off while driving

Charged99

Established Member
So I was driving today and my car just shut off. Everything! Lights and all. Wouldn't restart. Couldn't connect to the PCM with my tuner. Got it fired once and pulled codes(antitheft code) so I'm pretty sure it's the pats system. Anyone know where I should start? I don't have an extra key to try so just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
Just take it to the dealer and have 3 keys cut and programed. Thats what I would do. BUT at the same time could be the PATS transciever module or a couple other things. BUT this is my opinion. I could be wrong.

Charged99

Established Member
Well In case anyone else comes across a problem like this. It ended up just being the red ground strap from the block to the frame. Connector came loose. Soldered it back together she's all good

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Bad grounds will cause crazy problems with any kind of electronics equipment. The guys who have it the worst are the guys who work on radar and radio equipment.

Good work on finding the problem. What made you think to look at that as a possible cause? Glad you got your car going.

Well In case anyone else comes across a problem like this. It ended up just being the red ground strap from the block to the frame. Connector came loose. Soldered it back together she's all good

Charged99

Established Member
Bad grounds will cause crazy problems with any kind of electronics equipment. The guys who have it the worst are the guys who work on radar and radio equipment.

Good work on finding the problem. What made you think to look at that as a possible cause? Glad you got your car going.
Yeah it was weird when I turned the key on it was fine and as soon as I touched anything electrical. Brake switch, windows, convertible top, etc.. It would shut off for a second and the theft light would go on. So I figured the PCM wasnt getting enough power or I had some kind of voltage problem. I climbed under and pulled on the the ground cables and found the loose one. Yeah I'm glad it was something easy I hate electrical problems haha

Users who are viewing this thread