car shut off and will not restart

wikedcobra312

FLEO
Established Member
hello all, while on the freeway i got on it in 3rd gear, took it to about 6k-7k and i heard a pop, like a fuse blowing. the car shut off and i pulled over. i tried to restart it, but it seems like i am not getting enough fuel or theres too much fuel(i could smell a lot of fuel also). i tried pop starting it and it did for a bit, but it was rough, and it shut down after a couple seconds. any thoughts to what could have happened. there were no leaks of any kind or smoke. the temp was normal. i tried to do a search but just couldnt relate to any info that i found. and info will be greatly appreciated.

TrickStang37

Established Member
hello all, while on the freeway i got on it in 3rd gear, took it to about 6k-7k and i heard a pop, like a fuse blowing. the car shut off and i pulled over. i tried to restart it, but it seems like i am not getting enough fuel or theres too much fuel(i could smell a lot of fuel also). i tried pop starting it and it did for a bit, but it was rough, and it shut down after a couple seconds. any thoughts to what could have happened. there were no leaks of any kind or smoke. the temp was normal. i tried to do a search but just couldnt relate to any info that i found. and info will be greatly appreciated.
did you hit the rev limiter? i forget what the sensor is but there is one on the fuel rail that goes out sometimes. sounds like that. im sure someone much more knowledgeable will chime in soon.

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
when you turn the key, does it crank at all?? or nothing happens...

or like trickstang said, if you hit the rev limiter even for a split second, it could just be the fuel pressure sensor has gone bad

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Probably the FRPS (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor) it's an 80 dollar part that will likely cost you a lot more since the stealership is "taking care" of you

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
FRPS very likely...easy, easy fix...keep a spare in your glovebox to keep you from getting stranded like that...

wikedcobra312

FLEO
Established Member
it was the frps, i just swapped myself at the dealership and the car fired right up. i bought two of them, they charged me 200 for both, probably got ripped off but oh well atleast i have an extra. only took about 10 minutes to do. they were going to charge me 110 to do the diagnostic, 126 for labor, and 134 for the part with tax. so i would have spent about 400.00. thanks to you all for the advice and helping me save money.

cobra_matt

Established Member
$126 labor!!?? It took you ten minutes, and assuming they would have done it in the same amount of time, you would have been paying them $756/hr.

TrickStang37

Established Member
it was the frps, i just swapped myself at the dealership and the car fired right up. i bought two of them, they charged me 200 for both, probably got ripped off but oh well atleast i have an extra. only took about 10 minutes to do. they were going to charge me 110 to do the diagnostic, 126 for labor, and 134 for the part with tax. so i would have spent about 400.00. thanks to you all for the advice and helping me save money.

good you got it taken care of, don't forget to change the oil!

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member

well from what you saved from the stealership should be divided up between members that posted on this thread... i think that would be fair... lol

glad you saved most of it from the stealership...

mrose75

Established Member
Interesting, may have to puit a spare in the glove box. Good save SVTP.com.

Users who are viewing this thread