Car running hot after Paxton install

djdonte

Established Member
12 Boss 302 here. I just installed a used Paxton 2200SL kit, and my car is running real hot at idle now. Its fine when moving, and at idle without the AC. Once I turn off the AC my temps just keep rising. I let the head temp get to 250 before I shut it down. It took about 20 minutes to get this hot. I have verified that the fan is working, but My car is too loud to tell if its kicking into high speed or not. My tuner (AED) also let me see his fan tables so I know the fan is being commanded when it should.

The kit came off of a 12 GT/CS, and I gave him my stock fan in exchange for his pre-modified one. I know my radiator is bigger than a GT, but from what I can tell the fan is the same. I know the guy so I'm pretty sure he didnt screw me over with a bum fan. I am going to try a 170 degree thermostat and running 75 percent water/25 ford coolant with some royal purple water wetter. If that doesnt help alot I was maybe going to buy a GT500 fan. I am in Houston so its about 90 here but I still dont think I should be running that hot. It gets so hot I can't touch anything under the hood. Any ideas on diagnosing the fan or anything? Thanks.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I am going to try a 170 degree thermostat and running 75 percent water/25 ford coolant with some royal purple water wetter. .

A 170 degree thermostat wont help at all, that's not how they work. You're OEM one is defiantly all the way open with those temps, a 170deg will open sooner but your temps will still climb to the same point as they currently are.

You need to fix the issue before throwing band aids on it. You're car should be at the same temp at idle as stock, with no changes to the coolant system.

It sounds like a fan issue alright, turning off the A/C creates higher temps, sounds like the fans are not going into high speed with the A/C off.

Is the "pre-modified" fan a OEM fan?

Did you double check the fan connection?

Listen, i'm sure your car ran fine temp wise before the blower install right?

The main thing that you changed to the coolant system was the fan, which so happens to be the main source cooling off the car at idle. Double tap all connection points you messed with. Warm up the car, turn the A/C on and feel how much air the fans are moving, turn off the A/C and see if they are still moving the same amount of air. if it's not moving the same amount of air, report back and we'll go from there.

Last edited:

djdonte

Established Member
I installed the thermostat and replaced the coolant. Now the car runs about 195F. Either that did the trick or maybe there was an air pocket in the coolant system from the paxton install. I verified the fan is coming on at low and high speed when my tune commands it to. Weird.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
I installed the thermostat and replaced the coolant. Now the car runs about 195F. Either that did the trick or maybe there was an air pocket in the coolant system from the paxton install. I verified the fan is coming on at low and high speed when my tune commands it to. Weird.

Hmm yeah that is weird, glad you fixed it! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread