HamMach1

Established Member
Here's my situation:

My place of residency is Virginia.
My mother lives in VA.
My father lives in FL.
I'd like to register my car in FL.
I'll be stationed in New Mexico.

Is this possible, even when I'm not technically living in Florida, but could declare my place of residency there? This shit is confusing. Would like to do this so I don't have to worry about inspections and other bulljive.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
in order to register your car, you need to have your drivers license and insurance match that address. also I believe in florida you must provide proof (ex. phone bill, ect) that it is your residence

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Change your residency to Florida using your fathers address and take a copy of your orders, insurance, title/registration and any other requested documents to the Florida DMV via mail, fax etc and register your car as an out of state vehicle. You cannot register your vehicle in another state without identification showing that you are a resident or are stationed in the state you are trying to get it registered in. i went through this BS when i was up at Fort Lewis and i was trying to get my truck registered in MO. Luckily the military has Carte blanche when it comes to changing residency.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Just leave the registration for Virginia. You won't need to get another state inspection until you go back to VA. You can do it online and you'll be able to put you're New Mexico address on the VA registration. BTW, make sure you're not paying any property tax on the car if it's only in your name.

I had to do the same thing 2 years ago when I was in CA, piece of cake really.

HamMach1

Established Member
Just leave the registration for Virginia. You won't need to get another state inspection until you go back to VA. You can do it online and you'll be able to put you're New Mexico address on the VA registration. BTW, make sure you're not paying any property tax on the car if it's only in your name.

I had to do the same thing 2 years ago when I was in CA, piece of cake really.

What do you mean?

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
If you are active duty and home of record is not VA you don't have to pay property tax on the car if it's just in your name. BTW, what is the registration fee in Fl.? I think I paid $68 for 2 years.

Edit: Missed or skimmed past that you're a VA resident. Go to your admin office and update you're home of record to Fl. no state tax last time I checked.

Last edited:

HamMach1

Established Member
If you are active duty and home of record is not VA you don't have to pay property tax on the car if it's just in your name. BTW, what is the registration fee in Fl.? I think I paid $68 for 2 years.

Edit: Missed or skimmed past that you're a VA resident. Go to your admin office and update you're home of record to Fl. no state tax last time I checked.

Yeah, Florida has no state tax.

Users who are viewing this thread