Car registation cost in different states

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Just registered The GT500 here in Tenn. was $60.00 for the year in Knox county. Some Tenn. counties are slightly higher (wheel tax on top of the state fee). Just curious what the different fees are in the country. When we lived in AZ it was crazy 6% or so of the value of the vehicle if I remember correct. I know on my 07 Shelby it was several hundred dollars per year and a stupid emission test by an outside company that had people that couldn't pass to work at Checker Auto.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Consider yourself lucky!

x2!

Here, in the Peoples' Republic of Colorado, we're a close second to what Chris describes in Massachusetts. I paid:
- State Tax (2.9%) = $1945.61
- City Tax (2%) = $1341.80
- County Tax (1%) = $670.90
- Ownership Tax (2.1% of assessed value for the year) = $1197.55
- Ownership Tax (2.1% of assessed value for the time between sale and registration) = $99.80
- Licensing Fee = $78.72
- Road Fee = $23.00
- Bridge Fee = $18.00
- Title Fee = $7.20
- Other Fee = $10.00

That's a total of $5392.58 for the privilege of registering my car. Thankfully, $3965.51 were one-time sales taxes and title fees. I'll see the remaining (~$1400), however, every year when I re-register. Ownership tax will decline annually, based on the assessed value and a sliding scale tax rate that bottoms-out at 0.45% when the car is 5 years old.

BTW, in spite of all those fees, our DMV is among the worst with which I've dealt and many of our roads & bridges are in TERRIBLE condition. Typical government-run enterprises... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
In NV :

Registration fee: $35
Misc Govt Taxes: roughly $900 (calculated by value of car)
Goes down a few percent every year but nothing noticeable

Shhhh

Established Member
I got pretty lucky since in GA they were changing over the old ad valorem tax system to a new % system. Since I paid state taxes(7%) of the time of purchase on my car I didnt have to pay ad valorem.

$20 a year for registration from here on out.

ford13

Established Member
Here in Canada ... 8% sales tax on 61,699 msrp + 10,200 options + 1550 delivery and destination. 73,449 x 8% = 5875.92. I have a 13' Denali HD, a 13' Acadia my 13' Shelby, a 00' yamaha banshee and a 07' ltr 450 quadracer. my monthly payment for licence and registration is 675$ a month = 8100 yearly. My truck and suv and stang are ballpark 2500$ a year each.

Larry

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Registation Sucks

You suck! Mine will be over $900 when due in Oct here in Az

One of the things I do not miss from AZ (that and 119 degrees) Although the rain here sucks over 20" above normal this year. The down side here
the grass and moss grows quick and the potholes will eat your wheels. Beautiful drives but tight roads, not like going to Payson or Flagstaff with the long vista views and wide roads. At least it is not like the Canadian, Rhode Island, Massachusetts or Colorado cost. I haven't seen anyone from Californication post what they pay. In the DuPont Registry magazine there are ads for registering vehicles in Montana. Must be really low if attorneys can advertise in the magazine.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Just registered The GT500 here in Tenn. was $60.00 for the year in Knox county. Some Tenn. counties are slightly higher (wheel tax on top of the state fee). Just curious what the different fees are in the country. When we lived in AZ it was crazy 6% or so of the value of the vehicle if I remember correct. I know on my 07 Shelby it was several hundred dollars per year and a stupid emission test by an outside company that had people that couldn't pass to work at Checker Auto.

OP...I think you might be getting the yearly registration fees and the one time sales tax confused. Yearly registration in TN is pretty cheap. I know it's less than KY or AL where they have an ad valorem tax plus the plate which will come out to $300 to $400 per year. HOWEVER, TN does have a high sales tax of 7% plus whatever the town or municipality charges so I'm sure living in TN you likely paid roughly 9% sales tax when you purchased your Shelby. That 6% you quoted above for AZ again has to be the sales tax you paid up front...surely you did not have to pay 6% each and every year for vehicle registration. You went on to say in AZ vehicle registation was several hundred a year which coresponds to an ad valorem tax rate, not 6%. If a car is worth $50K a 6% fee would be $3,000 each year.

In AL sales tax on cars are treated much differently. Because I live in the County I only paid 3.25% sales tax when I purchased the car. I will pay roughly $300 to $400 a year to register it due to ad valorem taxes and plate fees. :beer:

Last edited:

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
Tax & Registration

OP...I think you might be getting the yearly registration fees and the one time sales tax confused. Yearly registration in TN is pretty cheap. I know it's less than KY or AL where they have an ad valorem tax plus the plate which will come out to $300 to $400 per year. HOWEVER, TN does have a high sales tax of 7% plus whatever the town or municipality charges so I'm sure living in TN you likely paid roughly 9% sales tax when you purchased your Shelby. That 6% you quoted above for AZ again has to be the sales tax you paid up front...surely you did not have to pay 6% each and every year for vehicle registration. You went on to say in AZ vehicle registation was several hundred a year which coresponds to an ad valorem tax rate, not 6%. If a car is worth $50K a 6% fee would be $3,000 each year.

In AL sales tax on cars are treated much differently. Because I live in the County I only paid 3.25% sales tax when I purchased the car. I will pay roughly $300 to $400 a year to register it due to ad valorem taxes and plate fees. :beer:
Yes, I Paid 9% sales tax difference above the trades I had. Here in TN the sale tax is on everything but no state income tax. All the different rates that the different states use to calculate how much to charge is crazy. What book or where does the ad valorem rate come from. If I remember correctly it was around $800 or so per year to register plus emissions test BS and went down slightly yearly. Never understood exactly where the amount came from. I read somewhere here today that someone from Tellico Plains TN went to Ft. Payne AL to get their car. Wonder how that works out in taxes or registration? (We actually got married in Ft. Payne 16+ years ago). Nice change here though knowing is a flat fee to
keep track of. Is your tax calculated on your home address or the dealer that you purchase?

USV8PWR

Established Member
Yes, I Paid 9% sales tax difference above the trades I had. Here in TN the sale tax is on everything but no state income tax. All the different rates that the different states use to calculate how much to charge is crazy. What book or where does the ad valorem rate come from. If I remember correctly it was around $800 or so per year to register plus emissions test BS and went down slightly yearly. Never understood exactly where the amount came from. I read somewhere here today that someone from Tellico Plains TN went to Ft. Payne AL to get their car. Wonder how that works out in taxes or registration? (We actually got married in Ft. Payne 16+ years ago). Nice change here though knowing is a flat fee to
keep track of. Is your tax calculated on your home address or the dealer that you purchase?

I should've also put that while I currently live in AL I am verly likely moving to TN in the next few months so I am trying to decide whether to buy a new truck now or wait. I'm thinking I should get it now due to the high sales tax in TN.

With that said though, generally speaking TN pays less taxes than AL. In AL you have a 8% sales tax and a 5% income tax for a total of 13% on anything you buy techincally. Whereas TN, like you said, has no income tax and basically a 9.25% sales tax. And that tax is ONLY on what you buy...not what you make. I will take that all day long! :beer:

Now I cannot even begin to explain how a state comes up with the ad valorem tax. Some states base their registration taxes on the weight of the car while others take the blue book value, divide that number by hundreds and then multiple that number times a %.

And AL isn't a flat fee for registation. Well the plate is a flat fee, but we have the BS ad valorem tax which is again based on the car's value / by probably 100 and times some BS %. I expect my registration on a $65K car to be $250 to $300.

As far as sales tax goes...if I bought it out of state I would only pay the reduced 2.5% car sales tax. However, I ordered the car in a small town in North AL so I had to pay 3.25%...the reduced State tax plus the town's sales tax. BUT I did consider myself VERY luck and was estatic it was only 3.25%. The difference between my sales tax and TN's rate of 9% on a $69K car was almost $4000!!! I didn't quite get the deal I wanted on the car order but thought, shoot there are folks paying MSRP or more AND $4000 more in taxes....I need to just shut up and sign the deal!!! LOL! In summary I got $2200 off sticker, paid a nominal doc fee of only $100, only had a 3.25% sales tax, and financed the car for 5 years at only 1.49%. AND because the courthouse did not have the 2013 Shelby info in their system they just had me register it as a Mustang GT which decreased their book value for the car down to half of what I actually paid!

I swear the stars in the heavens aligned for this vehicle purchase! Btw...Fort Payne is beautiful country. Although it is hard not to find beautiful country in the Tennessee Valley!! :rockon:

Bisbee Kid

Established Member
I should've also put that while I currently live in AL I am verly likely moving to TN in the next few months so I am trying to decide whether to buy a new truck now or wait. I'm thinking I should get it now due to the high sales tax in TN.

With that said though, generally speaking TN pays less taxes than AL. In AL you have a 8% sales tax and a 5% income tax for a total of 13% on anything you buy techincally. Whereas TN, like you said, has no income tax and basically a 9.25% sales tax. And that tax is ONLY on what you buy...not what you make. I will take that all day long! :beer:

Now I cannot even begin to explain how a state comes up with the ad valorem tax. Some states base their registration taxes on the weight of the car while others take the blue book value, divide that number by hundreds and then multiple that number times a %.

And AL isn't a flat fee for registation. Well the plate is a flat fee, but we have the BS ad valorem tax which is again based on the car's value / by probably 100 and times some BS %. I expect my registration on a $65K car to be $250 to $300.

As far as sales tax goes...if I bought it out of state I would only pay the reduced 2.5% car sales tax. However, I ordered the car in a small town in North AL so I had to pay 3.25%...the reduced State tax plus the town's sales tax. BUT I did consider myself VERY luck and was estatic it was only 3.25%. The difference between my sales tax and TN's rate of 9% on a $69K car was almost $4000!!! I didn't quite get the deal I wanted on the car order but thought, shoot there are folks paying MSRP or more AND $4000 more in taxes....I need to just shut up and sign the deal!!! LOL! In summary I got $2200 off sticker, paid a nominal doc fee of only $100, only had a 3.25% sales tax, and financed the car for 5 years at only 1.49%. AND because the courthouse did not have the 2013 Shelby info in their system they just had me register it as a Mustang GT which decreased their book value for the car down to half of what I actually paid!

I swear the stars in the heavens aligned for this vehicle purchase! Btw...Fort Payne is beautiful country. Although it is hard not to find beautiful country in the Tennessee Valley!! :rockon:

Knoxville area is nice, lot of different activities in the area. I agree on the tax situation catching the right combination in AL would be best. 9.25% seems steep until you factor all the other areas in, not having the state income tax is great, compared to AZ. I think TX & FL both don't have an income tax but not sure on the different rates. One thing I thought would be cheaper but is more expensive is basic groceries. Never thought the desert would be cheaper but in the Phoenix area there is a lot of completion and Cali fruits and vegies that are way less expensive. Even found the beef here more expensive. Strange with all the farming in the area. There are several farmers markets & many people garden so that I'm sure offsets some but my wife says it around 30% higher here even with her working for Kroger. Funny thing about Ft. Payne if you listen to Alabama then go there they just sing about home. (Wife's cousin is their insurance agent). Can't remember when I got here and registered the Lightning if there was an additional cost on top of the 1st registration, just remember all 5 cars were about 1/2 of 1 in AZ & I didn't want to spoil the excitement!!:dancenana:

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Here in MN its gonna cost me $700 at the end of this month when I have to renew my registration.. The price drops 10% every year here.

willis68

Established Member
I am in Tenn as well, $110.00 paid for my Memphis Rock and Soul plate and personalization of it, $86.00 every year after that

I love this state
image_zpsecd5aefb.jpg

CWCobra

Established Member

Good point. I would also add that the yearly registration fee here in Tennessee can be a bit higher if you have a specialty and/or personalized plate. For example, my personalized plate, "0 2XLR8", costs extra - I forget how much, but maybe $50 per year. My wife has a specialty "Watchable Wildlife" plate that is likewise an extra $50 or so per year. In any event, we Tennesseans have lower taxes and fees in many, many areas compared to other states.

Users who are viewing this thread