Car quit running, uggggghhhhh!!

jdsupertinter

Established Member
So I took the car on its longest trip today, about 100 miles or so, ran beautifully! Nasty!!
I get home planning to remove fenders and find my light problem, but..... one more trip to town.
Half way on a 70mph cruise, and it just quits. Ggggggggggggggg coasting down to a stop. Luckily I pull into a logging road. Now it just turns over.
If it sits for a bit, it will start for a second, gurgle then die.
It has a "bad gas" smell. I filled it up from a half tank today with supreme. (FYI)
My buddy says gas tank. Seems obvious. But would it just die like that?? Also my fuel gauge is pegged at full all the time. (Another gas tank indicator)
But I'm thinking maybe a relay or fuel pump since it just quit.
Just got back from towing it, sorry if long winded, I need my car running!! thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
Get torque app on your phone and a bafx obd2 wireless connector (Amazon prime).
See what you can read. That would be a good first step and a minimum of what tools you will need to keep her running in the future.

Sometimes an intermittent fp can start running by giving the gas tank or trunk floor a good thump...pray for luck.

Last edited:

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Have you checked the pressure at the fuel rail? With the fuel gauge sticking I want to point my finger at the fuel pump. It may have corroded or gummed up.

I would also question the fuel filter.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, first thing to do is check fuel pressure at the rail. Report back with your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds just like a fuel pump failure, as others have said, get a fuel pressure gauge that connects to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what you're getting for pressure.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Thanks guys, that's what everyone is telling me, gotta be fuel related. I'm gonna check this morning
The car had 400 miles put on it in only 2 years before I got it, so yes it's been sitting, but I've put almost a full tank of gas in it since I got, but have not been through a whole tank yet, so I guess I stirred up the muck. I'll find out shortly

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Thanks guys, that's what everyone is telling me, gotta be fuel related. I'm gonna check this morning
The car had 400 miles put on it in only 2 years before I got it, so yes it's been sitting, but I've put almost a full tank of gas in it since I got, but have not been through a whole tank yet, so I guess I stirred up the muck. I'll find out shortly

This thread I made on getting old gas out of your tank might be of use to you:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2-things-how-to-get-old-gas-out-and-“new-car”-video.1162830/

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

It's possible.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Yep, no fuel pressure, zilch, nada, none!!
Also checked engine module in pass fender, brown/ pink stripe putting out 12 volts, so it's working.
Replaced fuel filter for grins, nope. However after replacing filter it acted like it wanted to start for a sec but then same nothing.
So I'm dropping the tank. Yay!!

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Oh, I can hear the fuel pump come on for like 2 seconds when turning car on, then it quits.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Oh, I can hear the fuel pump come on for like 2 seconds when turning car on, then it quits.

The pump or a line may be clogged. If you can hear it, it is trying to prime. You get to drop the tank regardless.

See how the pump reacts without being tied to the car's plumbing. If it runs strong and has no trash and build up that is noticeable I would completely clean out the lines and fuel rails.

I have no idea if the pump can be cleaned and repaired. I would install a new pump for peace of mind if it's in the budget while the tank is down.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do these cars run off an FPDM like the 99+? If so the pump only primes for 2-3 seconds and then turns back off.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
If the fuel line was disconnected, wouldn't this allow the pump to run freely, or would it sense a lack of pressure?

The pump only runs when the engine is running. You have to jump the pump for it to run continuously without the engine running. See my link above.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The pump only runs when the engine is running. You have to jump the pump for it to run continuously without the engine running. See my link above.
True, thank you for jogging my memory.

The OP may have a fuel pump priming, but not able to keep up. The pressure test should confirm that. At least I think it should. It's a gamble and guess without having hands on the car.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Update, I'm an idiot......it was out of gas. I thought I filled it up that morning but apparently a "false fill" LOL. I did think it was odd it only took 5 gallons. It clicked off and I put the pump up.
I'm dropping the tank going "this sure seems light..."
So, my pump works, fuel gauge does not,
Question; if I disconnect the fuel pump connection should the fuel gauge go down to empty? It rests at empty right? I don't want to replace this thing if it's not necessary....
(And I was told by someone that the pump is suppose to come on for a couple seconds then cut off.)

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Well, you did have a fueling issue. Glad it was a simple one.

Yes, the needle rests on empty. ...and yes, the pump primes for a second or so.

Users who are viewing this thread