Car Problems. Need Advice

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
OK guys, here it goes....
I got on my car really hard the other day and it put out this bad smell, like it was running rich.... When I got home everything seemed fine. The next day I was driving it and it started shaking really bad at low rpms... When I got home I checked it out and it had a bad exhause leak... The bolt on the header flange where it bolts to the hpipe was stripped. I took it to an exhaust shop and had it fixed. It was a little better, but still had an exhaust leak....This time it was at the flange where it bolts to the cylinder head. The header where is bad shape(rusted junky BBk's) so I decided it would be a goo time to get new ones... I bought the Ford Motorsport ceramic coated shortie..(Awsome headers). I put them on as well as changing the plugs and wires. Still not running right, so I changed the cap and rotor... It got a little better. Then I messed with the timing and still not right, but a little better. Here is the problem now. When it is cold and you start it, it just won't hardly idle. As soon as it warms up it idles fine, but then when you rev it up it seems to stumble right off of idle. Once you bring it up to about 2500 RPMs it is fine. It just seems rough off of the idle... The only sensor that has beeb replaced recently is the BAP sensor. There is no check engine light on either...Any advice would be greatly appreciated... :shrug:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
First off, all exhaust leaks are fixed, right?

If so, then my first guess is a possible vacuum leak. Second guess is a dirty/contaminated MAF sensor...

BTW, pull the codes, even if there isn't a CEL. You can still have a code...

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
Yes, all exhaust leaks are fixed...

I have checked all the vacuum lines...

I did, however, have a problem when I removed the old header which could have cantaminated the MAF... I had equal length shorties on which had been rubbing the liquid line to the a/c. When I pulled the header out all the freon and oil was shooting out and the MAF was right next to this... I thought about this, but I really didn't think that it would have messed up the MAF. Do you think it is possible? If so, what can you use to clean it?

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
03SonicBlueL said:
Yes, all exhaust leaks are fixed...

I have checked all the vacuum lines...

I did, however, have a problem when I removed the old header which could have cantaminated the MAF... I had equal length shorties on which had been rubbing the liquid line to the a/c. When I pulled the header out all the freon and oil was shooting out and the MAF was right next to this... I thought about this, but I really didn't think that it would have messed up the MAF. Do you think it is possible? If so, what can you use to clean it?

If you have an a/f on the end of the mass air, then I really doubt this will be the concern. Try checking the IAC and the TP sensor reference voltage and the WOT voltage on the TP. Its really hard to diag problems with out the car here.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Pull those codes.

It won't hurt to go ahead and clean the MAF sensing element. Get some CRC electrical contact cleaner, and the "tamper proof torx" to remove the sensing element from the housing. LIBERALLY spray the sensing wires till they are nice, bright, and shiny. Reinstall. Don't touch the element with anything.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys...

I will try cleaning the MAF this weekend and also pull the codes...

Do you guys know a way to pull the codes without putting it on a computer?
I know there is a way, but I'm not sure how.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
Well, I got a code of 24, which is the Intake Air Charge Sensor. I pulled the old one out and it was covered in old oil. Is that normal?? I replaced it and it still runs the same. A friend of mine said I might have a blown head gasket... I used a "blown head gasket detector" and the test was normal..... I am really at a loss... I still will not idle when it is cold and it souds like it has a miss... I have rechecked all the spark plug wires that I put on and they are all tight.... It also smells like it is running really rich.

HELP??????

badvenm

Established Member
Check the wiring to your sensor, oil being on your sensor is normal, just like a little oil being on the walls of your intake, not enough where its dripping but enough that you can feel it with your finger or see it with paper towel. Not sure what a "blown head gasket detecter" is, did you do a compression test or leak down test on every cylinder? Is the car running hot? Just in case you do have a blown head gasket check your oil with your dip stick, if it looks like chocolate milk you have a blown lower intake or head gasket. It is also possible to blow a gasket between cylinders that will not put water in the oil but will make it run like you are saying. Best bet do a compression test if you haven't and that will rule alot out.

unibager

Established Member
Better late than never to chime in. The oil in the intake is somewhat normal and can be taken care of by running a oil trap. Have you tried pulling the spark plug wires one at a time while the car is running (be carefull)? You have to do it this way because the injectors are not all accesable. Try this to see if you have a dead hole, I have had a car that kinda sound ok at 2500, but at idle was a rough running pig. Seek the dead hole, it seems odd that a hard run would cause an imediate failure of an electrical component.

onequickgt

Established Member
I had a 91 Gt do about the same thing .. I had a injector bad and also had a bad MAP sensor.. Hope this helps some...

Users who are viewing this thread