Car possibly totaled. Need to buy some stock parts.

rand

Established Member
I am in desperate need of 2010-2012 stock s/c and plenum, 2007-2013 stock t/b with electronics, and stock h/e. Willing to pay reasonable prices and have money now. Needs parts asap. I will have the aftermarket parts on the forums after all is said and done. Thanks.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you returning it to stock before you call insurance? :dw:

rand

Established Member
Are you returning it to stock before you call insurance? :dw:

Already called but adjustor hasn't come out yet. Car is in garage and have already started putting some stock stuff back on. Have you had any experience with this or know anyone who has? Just trying not to get screwed out of money on all the parts.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Rand you have a PM. Sorry to here about this man....I had this happen to me. I had a 97 GT with a ATI, full exhaust, lower pulley. I basically told my adjuster what I wanted to do, and he said ok. IT HAS TO BE STOCK AND NO MISSING PIECES.

So I took the ATI procharger off, found the manifolds, and slapped them back on. Left the lower...then gave the car to him. It depends on your adjuster really. If you get a cool one, he will give you a little time to get it done. If not, well you need to hurry

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have all the parts you need at the moment, stock blower has stock pulley on it as well.

crownaviation

Established Member
Worst case scenario see what you can buy the car back for.. you can haggle with them too. I know a few people that have made out well doing that, just time consuming to sell off everything.

What do you have for fuel system? I have the stock air box and intake tube with the filter for cheap if interested. Hows $50 shipped? Also have an elbow I will throw in for an extra $25 if you are already paying for shipping on the intake.

The superchargers are dirt cheap. I see them all the time for $400 and less shipped. I know someone that just bought one for $250 and it was a new takeoff. Also the shelby store advertises them for $399 and are usually new takeoffs for the supersnake conversions. It is hit or miss talking to someone that knows wtf you are talking about when you call them tho lol.. that place has their head up their ass unless you are dropping off a huge check for a conversion... and even then lol.

Just dont pay too much for this stuff it is out there.

rand

Established Member
Thanks to all so far for help. It really sucks doing this but I think its the best thing to do for now. We'll see how it all turns out.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Is putting stock stuff back on the car just not wanting to loose money on the after market parts or will you get less for the car if it is all modded or both?

rand

Established Member
Is putting stock stuff back on the car just not wanting to loose money on the after market parts or will you get less for the car if it is all modded or both?

I just don't want to lose the money that i put in. I'm pretty sure I'll get the same price for car regardless. I'm not sure if they're going to total as the adjuster has not showed up yet but figured I better get everything ready and change it out before it's too late. There's a good amount of damage all along passenger side as it met a guardrail and even separated the front right wheel from the car and the firewall is crinkled in the middle just below windshield washers and many other things that make me think it's going to be totaled.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I just don't want to lose the money that i put in. I'm pretty sure I'll get the same price for car regardless. I'm not sure if they're going to total as the adjuster has not showed up yet but figured I better get everything ready and change it out before it's too late. There's a good amount of damage all along passenger side as it met a guardrail and even separated the front right wheel from the car and the firewall is crinkled in the middle just below windshield washers and many other things that make me think it's going to be totaled.
Sorry to hear about your car. If it is totaled are you getting another?

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member

ya sucks.. That thing is def. totaled. Doesnt take much for the firewall to buckle on these cars. Glad your okay

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
My 03 convertible Cobra was totaled about 5 years ago. I had a lot of mods on the car and the adjuster didn't have any problems factoring some of them into the replacement cost as long as I had receipts for the parts. They would not cover labor costs.
I ended up negotiating a replacement value of about $26k and a settlement that including me getting the car back plus $21 or $22k, I can't remember exactly. I sold the car to a body guy in Canada for $10k and got a check from the insurance company for the agreed upon amount (after whatever fees, deductibles and taxes were taken out). It was win all the way around, for both me and the insurance company. They don't want to deal with moving, storing, scrapping or auctioning the car and would much rather dump it off quick and easy. They normally only charge current scrap prices if the car is considered totaled as they don't deal in salvage or parting it out.
The best advice I can give you is do your homework and DO NOT sign anything until you make sure you negotiate the best deal you can get. They will low ball you and try to convince you that you have no option. It's bullshit and you can absolutely negotiate. Print for sale adds off of here for similar cars, print them off E-bay, print them off of Auto Trader, print Edmunds prices, NADA prices and average out the prices. That should be where you draw your negotiations from. Don't negotiate with the cost of the buy back involved, don't even tell them you want to buy it back until you think you have him on the ropes and if he refuses to negotiate, ask for a supervisor immediately and tell them that you will not settle without a lawyer if you think your being treated unfairly.

Don't be a dick about it until you have to be, just be cordial and make him understand that you're not trying to get more than your entitled to and your not trying to get rich. Make sure you reiterate that you just want whats fair and what the policy you pay for entitles you to.

Last edited:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I had a bike totalled out, the adjuster told me I could get all my aftermarket stuff after he totalled it, I just had to put stock stuff back. You probably don't need to hurry.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I had a bike totalled out, the adjuster told me I could get all my aftermarket stuff after he totalled it, I just had to put stock stuff back. You probably don't need to hurry.

This depends on state law and regulations. In NJ there is apparently a regulation that deems the vehicle property of the insurance company as soon as they total it and up until it's transferred back to you by the MVC. My insurance companies policy was that once the car is "theirs" it is not permitted to be touched by anyone but their own employees and any alterations would be considered as theft and or criminal mischief. That was GEICO.

Users who are viewing this thread