car part insurance, need your feedback

i want boost

Established Member
First of all, I'm sure this is a repost, but cannot do a search on my phone for some reason. Opens and closes right back, sorry

Long story short, company I'm with now is telling me it will most likely cost me 500-600 a year to insure my 10k in parts, guy at a local statefarm told me zero, if something happens I just need receipts, and pictures help. Does this sound fishy? Too good to be true so to speak?

What/who do you have to cover your parts? Cost to cover? Amount covered?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
First of all, I'm sure this is a repost, but cannot do a search on my phone for some reason. Opens and closes right back, sorry

Long story short, company I'm with now is telling me it will most likely cost me 500-600 a year to insure my 10k in parts, guy at a local statefarm told me zero, if something happens I just need receipts, and pictures help. Does this sound fishy? Too good to be true so to speak?

What/who do you have to cover your parts? Cost to cover? Amount covered?

I'd get that in writing from your SF agent. Most of the time they will not cover those parts if there weren't on the car at the time of insuring. Even then you need quality book keeping of their cost etc.

An option is to simply do a stated value policy through some place like Grundy. There are usually some usage stipulations but in general it's not too bad. By going this route you know you're covering what you have in the car.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
read the details of your policy, usually theres a section about add-ons and what is/isnt covered under the standard policy.

I just did mine w/ hagerty under a stated value policy (gave them a list of parts and what their new replacement cost would be + book value of the car).

read the fine print in regards to allowable use if you go with a stated value policy

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
My state farm agent said to just keep the performance parts hush hush ..could be grounds for removal. Cosmetics were fine. According to my State Farm agent, my basic policy would cover depreciated or "blue book-ish" value and if I wanted to cover additional items such as sub woofers, in dash DVD system, etc I could purchase additional coverages separate - similar to buying insurance in jewelry separate from your homeowners insurance so it doesn't affect your claims against the actual house.

I'd look into a collector car insurance of some sort with agreed value policy. I guess I always risked it with my performance parts. Only averaged 2500 a year, mostly in town so I bet on the performance parts bring salvageable in a wreck...if not, oh well.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

i want boost

Established Member
I'd get that in writing from your SF agent. Most of the time they will not cover those parts if there weren't on the car at the time of insuring. Even then you need quality book keeping of their cost etc.

An option is to simply do a stated value policy through some place like Grundy. There are usually some usage stipulations but in general it's not too bad. By going this route you know you're covering what you have in the car.

Well I'm not with SF now, tho king about switching to them

But to you or anyone with this Grundy company, they told me like 550ish for 40k of full coverage, now I'm fairly cluess when it comes to car insurance. I'm paying almost 1100 for just the car.

Wheres the 500 difference?

I'm guessing if I hit a bus with the mustang I may have to cover hospital bills out of pocket with this grundy vs if I did it with my current company? Am I on the right track here?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well I'm not with SF now, tho king about switching to them

But to you or anyone with this Grundy company, they told me like 550ish for 40k of full coverage, now I'm fairly cluess when it comes to car insurance. I'm paying almost 1100 for just the car.

Wheres the 500 difference?

I'm guessing if I hit a bus with the mustang I may have to cover hospital bills out of pocket with this grundy vs if I did it with my current company? Am I on the right track here?

grundy, hagerty etc are quoting on a collector/fun car, not a daily driver. They limit your use of the vehicle somewhat which reduces their exposure so you get a better rate

Users who are viewing this thread