car not staying on

95BlueS351

Established Member
I am having a problem with my car staying on. If I turn it on the first time it will stay on fine but if I turn it off and then turn it back on shortly after it will try to die. The RPM will drop down to like 300 and then rev back up to 1500 and then drop down and sputter and die. It use to do this way back in the day and then I replaced the motor and it hasn't done it in the last 3 weeks. It started a couple of days ago and continues. It has a mild cam and I checked for vacuum leaks but it is possible that I missed it. I have heard of there being a wiring problem in the wire harness in the early Saleens. Other than that I don't know the details. The voltage gauge normally sits a little above half when the car is on. It could be a voltage problem because when I turn the steering wheel when the A/C is on the rpm drops a little and sometimes dies. Also, on occasion when I accelerate a little more hard than usual in 5th gear the check engine light will come on. When I turn the car off and then back on the light will clear. I am clueless to what this might be because the car is an OBD I. Once again, let me know if anyone has any ideas.

kcpgt2002

Established Member
Check for vacuum leaks and clean/replace the idle air control solenoid.
When you disconnect and reconnect the battery your car has to learn how to idle again. at least with obd2 cars. Try letting it idle for five minutes then turn the a/c on for 5 minutes. you may need to give it a little gas to keep it running once the a/c kicks on.

Users who are viewing this thread