Car not starting - Post Hellion install

mikeyfitz

Established Member
It did this randomly while we were on the dyno on Friday and then out of nowhere the car started and never had a single issue after. Now last night it started doing it again, and I couldnt get it started this morning.

Once you try to turn it over, you can let go of the key and the car keeps trying to start for a good 3 seconds or so and then stops. I was thinking maybe I should see if the car is getting spark or not. But that wouldnt make sense as to why the car would start up and run with 0 misfires, no codes, and run like a champ and then stop again after 2 days?

Only wiring I have really tapped into is the scavenge pump which went into Fuse 49 which is the Powertrain control module vehicle power 2 – emissions related powertrain components. Which I dont think can be the problem as no fuses are blown and it has the 2 15A Fuses.

Any ideas?

I gave Daniel a shout and he said he was just wiggling wires and then right before it started it threw a code about insufficient MAF or something like that he said. Hmmm...

Update : Just tried seeing if I was getting spark and from the test I did I wasnt seeing any with a screwdriver up there and the strut nuts and none with spark plugs in there, and theres a bit of fuel on the plug but I have been trying to get it to start for awhile so I figure thats all the left over.

Video :
[youtube_browser]sQcQYH-9xoY[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

mikeyfitz

Established Member
Its definitely getting fuel. Can smell it, and theres a little bit of fuel on the plugs from me trying to start it multiple times.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
well is either fuel or spark but i dont think that you have to tough anything on the spark side other than taking the cops out to put new plugs but thats pretty plug and play. did you install a boost a pump?

mikeyfitz

Established Member
Thats what its sounding like to me. No fuel. When you turn the key but not start it do you hear the fuel pump or anything? Also can't really tell from your video but do the gauges sweep when you turn the key but don't start it? :??:

I don't think my gauges have ever swept before. When I try to start the tachometer goes up to like 250rpm though.

Fuel pump initiates with key and the scavenge pump runs just fine

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
have you tried starting it with the stock tune or thats the base tune from your tuner?

mikeyfitz

Established Member
This is a full dyno tune, this is 2 days after we finished the tuning.
Its not tune related cause we ran into this problem on Friday and tried like 15 different tunes, and then it randomly started and right before it did it threw a MAF insufficient or something like that code. But then it started. Car has worked great saturday and sunday, and now it did this.

Seems like its not getting spark for some reason randomly.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
This is a full dyno tune, this is 2 days after we finished the tuning.
Its not tune related cause we ran into this problem on Friday and tried like 15 different tunes, and then it randomly started and right before it did it threw a MAF insufficient or something like that code. But then it started. Car has worked great saturday and sunday, and now it did this.

Seems like its not getting spark for some reason randomly.

idk the only other thing i can think of is the anti theft.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
Do you have any fuel in the rails? x2 on did you install a boost a pump?

The video looks the same as the fuel pump issue I just had.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Sounds to me like a ground could be loose?
did you double check any/all the grounds that were messed with during the install?

mikeyfitz

Established Member
Do you have any fuel in the rails? x2 on did you install a boost a pump?

The video looks the same as the fuel pump issue I just had.

I'll pull the rails and check. I did install a BAP.

Only messed with like 2 ground, but a bad ground on the BAP probably wouldn't be good lol. I'll check that too.

darreng505

Established Member
I'll pull the rails and check. I did install a BAP.

Only messed with like 2 ground, but a bad ground on the BAP probably wouldn't be good lol. I'll check that too.

Check the voltage on the BAP. Maybe a loose connection that got jogged from the dyno runs.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Your gauges are supposed to sweep when you turn the key but not start it. I'm guessing it's a fuel related issue.

mikeyfitz

Established Member
Check the voltage on the BAP. Maybe a loose connection that got jogged from the dyno runs.

I drove it fine for 2 days as well so maybe? But I smell plenty of fuel when I try to start it.

Ground on the BAP looks fine and I don't see any issues with the wiring of it. Fuse looks good too. It's wired to full all the time so it can't be the switch

Users who are viewing this thread