Car not idling right

jblood37

Established Member
Could someone take a look at some datalogs from my car? I have a really good tuner, but he is a little stumped as to why my car is running extremely lean at idle. The car is on E85 currently. All mods are in my signature below.

One more thing.. The catback is not currently on the car. Would this cause the front O2 sensors to read a lean condition? I wouldn't think so, but maybe someone else has experience with this.

Thank you

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Not having the cat back shouldn't affect the idle. Is he going by STFT's or is he watching a wideband?

Your sig isn't showing up for me.

jblood37

Established Member
Not having the cat back shouldn't affect the idle. Is he going by STFT's or is he watching a wideband?

Your sig isn't showing up for me.

Great, thank you. He is going by both. My AEM wideband is wired into a firewire cable so afr can be logged with the SCT X3. I also datalogged O2 sensors to be sure that they were actually seeing a lean condition.

These are mods that should be revelant:

2.9L Whipple
3" s/c pulley
Metco pulley kit with stock size lower
SCT BA3000
Fore innovations SN 95 Level 4 fuel system
ID1000s
Walbro 465lph fuel pumps
Billetflow T/B
JLT nextgen High Boost CAI
Kooks LT headers
Kooks o/r x pipe
Reische 170 degree thermostat

Base pressure is set at 43.5 psi now. It was originally at 40 psi, but I believe tuner had found literature that stated 43.5 is sweet spot for these injectors.

cj428mach

Established Member
Great, thank you. He is going by both. My AEM wideband is wired into a firewire cable so afr can be logged with the SCT X3. I also datalogged O2 sensors to be sure that they were actually seeing a lean condition.

These are mods that should be revelant:

2.9L Whipple
3" s/c pulley
Metco pulley kit with stock size lower
SCT BA3000
Fore innovations SN 95 Level 4 fuel system
ID1000s
Walbro 465lph fuel pumps
Billetflow T/B
JLT nextgen High Boost CAI
Kooks LT headers
Kooks o/r x pipe
Reische 170 degree thermostat

Base pressure is set at 43.5 psi now. It was originally at 40 psi, but I believe tuner had found literature that stated 43.5 is sweet spot for these injectors.

I'd personally bump them up a little as to make them run at a nice duty cycle. I know on my car I went to ID's website and used their injector calculator. After I put in my goal of 700rwhp on e85 and it said I needed to run the system at 50 psi to get the duty cycle down in the mid 80's. I run mine at 50 psi no problems here.

Is this the first time tuning this setup? I thought you were running this a long time ago?

jblood37

Established Member
Can you attach the datalog files here?

I tried, but I don't think .csv file extension is supported.

I'd personally bump them up a little as to make them run at a nice duty cycle. I know on my car I went to ID's website and used their injector calculator. After I put in my goal of 700rwhp on e85 and it said I needed to run the system at 50 psi to get the duty cycle down in the mid 80's. I run mine at 50 psi no problems here.

Is this the first time tuning this setup? I thought you were running this a long time ago?

Ah, good to know. It is the first time tuning. I have had everything ready for tuning for quite some time now, but knocked the ole wife up so priorities changed haha.

cj428mach

Established Member
I tried, but I don't think .csv file extension is supported.

Ah, good to know. It is the first time tuning. I have had everything ready for tuning for quite some time now, but knocked the ole wife up so priorities changed haha.

Has it ran successfully on Pump gas first? I think thats where to start to as thats easier to tune for.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
How are you reading A/F? In lambda or a/f ratio? Because you have to keep in mind that even though stoich for E85 is 9.76, if your A/F gauge converts lambda 1.0 to standard gas, it's still gonna read around 14.7, even if it's actually idling at stoich for the corn.

If it's not actually tuned for E85, then that's your problem right there.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Shit, I kind of skimmed through and misread your response that it's always been on E85. My fault. Regardless, how are you actually reading a/f?

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Just thinking out loud. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Are the stft's both trimming the same, or is there significant difference?

jblood37

Established Member
I unplugged every vacuum line while car was idling to see if idle got worse. I noticed no difference in the idle as it was just as bad as usual. I'll pull up datalogs tonight to confirm stft are trimming the same. I believe they were.

Users who are viewing this thread