Car just sputtered and spurted to a stop

rondog622

Established Member
Guy need some help. Just took my car on a 60 mile ride. No issues. Parked for a cpl hours. Then just took it about 15mi up the road. 80% highway. Just before gettung off it wasnt responding too well to throttle control but enought to drive. As i was going on the back roads it got worse and to the point when i hit the gas it would completely bog down. I had to roll in neutral and when i got to house it stalled out in driveway. Cant figure it out. Not sure what it is but im not home and need to get there. Anything i can look for? First time i have seen this. Not sure if it has to do with tune. And i dont have tuner i it is. Need help pl
Ron

Attaus

Established Member
Key on listen for the pump..

Then pull the plugs and check for spark..

Then report back.

rondog622

Established Member
Ok car wont turn over. Just clicks. I got a optima red top. Not sure on how old. So if the altinator went it will drain the rest of the system correct?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Correct, if the alternator was bad it won't charge the batt. But if the batt is bad, I won't take a charge. Is there a known hot battery around you can try? That would eliminate the battery.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If you suspect the battery then just try jumping your car off another. If the car starts then dies shortly after you disconnect the jumper cables then its def your alternator.

rondog622

Established Member
figured it out

went to advanced...bought a new battery put it in. it got me home..approx 55 miles at 80mph...died right in my driveway. so i guess its the alternator. so yeah...cool. lol I had to do it to get it home. Now I guess I gutta start shopping for a new one. Any suggestions?

Ron

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
crap ron....sorry to hear this

did you replace the alt pulley when you did the pulley swap a few weeks back? I'll assume no based on this.........

There's an ebay vendor who makes good alt's that guys seem to have good luck with. I am sure someone can chime in with details about him.

p.s. your sig inspired mine :)

rondog622

Established Member
I did not do a pulley change on the alt. should i? Is there any benefit from it? Im on my phone ill check ur sig when i get home :)

NIce sig!! I like it Must be a common spot for car pics..lol

Last edited:

rondog622

Established Member
Not that i saw. First my radio went off then my abs light came on then it just sputtered and stalled out. Thats what i noticed on the ride home with the new battery. Im taking it to my buddy tomorow nite for testing before i do open heart surgery

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
That def sounds like your alternator just quit on you, my abs light came on right before it shut down. Makes even more sense its your alternator if you just bought a new battery, not that hard to swap out, and good luck with the car/operation.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
well I've had countless alt failures, and your symptoms sound familiar to a bad alt.

I highly recommend the factory replacement from ford

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I did not do a pulley change on the alt. should i? Is there any benefit from it? Im on my phone ill check ur sig when i get home :)

NIce sig!! I like it Must be a common spot for car pics..lol

Thought you might appreciate that!!

The alt's on these cars are over spun from the factory, so by adding a smaller pulley on the blower you are putting that much more stress on the alt. There's a reason why so many people have alt problems on these cars!!!

In my opinion, the alt pulley needs to be changed , I run the 3.2" pulley on mine.

When you put the replacement in, get the smaller pulley on there and it should help out.

Alternator Pulleys - Pulleys/Idlers - 03-04 SVT Cobra

hope ya get it fixed soon bud!

ripnesscobra

Established Member
Thought you might appreciate that!!

The alt's on these cars are over spun from the factory, so by adding a smaller pulley on the blower you are putting that much more stress on the alt. There's a reason why so many people have alt problems on these cars!!!

In my opinion, the alt pulley needs to be changed , I run the 3.2" pulley on mine.

When you put the replacement in, get the smaller pulley on there and it should help out.

Alternator Pulleys - Pulleys/Idlers - 03-04 SVT Cobra

hope ya get it fixed soon bud!

Just an FYI. A smaller upper supercharger pulley does not change the speed at which the alternator spins at a given engine RPM since the belt speed has remained the same (crank pulley size is the same).

Changing to a larger crank pulley will increase the belt speed thus increasing the speed at which the alternator spins at a given engine RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread