Car just died today while driving...

fstr03svtcobra

Established Member
As the title says my cobra just died today while it was in neutral and I was slowing down to make a turn. I just watched the rpms go to 0. The only thing I can think of is that I have recently installed a Bassani catted x. The car has been idling mildly rough lately (like jumping from 800 to 500 rpm and back). It has low mileage so its not age. Could it be the head problem with 03s or do you guys have any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

steeda21

Mr. T
Established Member
my gt did the same thing, ending up being the alternator. Just shut off for no reason on the road

Romans8:28

Established Member
Did it start right back up and run ok?

Try searching the "stall" here...

You could have a dirty MAF, lose air filter, bad/sticking IC sensor, etc

divided

Established Member
Did it start right back up and run ok?

Try searching the "stall" here...

You could have a dirty MAF, lose air filter, bad/sticking IC sensor, etc

This.

Mine does it occasionally when im coasting in neutral to a stop. It seems to be a pretty common problem. But it only happens once in a blue moon for me. More often than not when the car is not fully warmed up.

hinds04

Established Member
there was a thread on this recently, may be hard to find though, my car started doing it every couple weeks or so after i cleared an old tune, i got it retuned a couple days ago and haven't had any problems yet so we'll see i guess.

Wayneo

Established Member
back when i purchased my first cobra in 03 this was an issue, ford had a recall on reprogramming the pcm, i could get it to happen when putting it in neutral from about 40mph and slowing down to a stop. No other running problems where present though

KILRSVT

Established Member
hasnt happen to me yet.....died the other day but i left it in gear so when i cam to a stop is killed the engine....i would check the battery voltage these altenators are weak, have you tune the car lately? other than that check what the thread above stated. maf, iac,loose connector or component. good luck

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine did this once. Had the computer reflashed with the latest 1's and 0's from Ford and hasn't happened since. However I have not had any issues with idle.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Mine will do this on occasion when its not fully warmed up. If I press on the brakes while slowing down pretty firmly, it almost always does it, or the RPMs dip very low.

Users who are viewing this thread