Car is RANDOMLY killing its self...

In2myCobra

Established Member
Alright guys, i'm having a serious problem with my car... Today when i was driving to work the car was picture perfect. But on the way home i was at an intersection and the car just flat out dyed.. I didn't think much of it because i though i had killed the car my self, until it happened again, about 40 seconds later. The car would crank but wouldn't turn over until the third or fourth try of turning the key. When I finally got the car started (for the 4th time) it stayed on for about 5 min, but then died while I was moving (at about 2.7k rpm)!! It does stutter a little bit before it cuts off though.
I was able to pull into a safe place and look at the car. I popped open the hood and found no signs of any mishaps or leaks.... In the end my baby got towed home because i didn't feel safe driving it... :cryying:

I was able to research up on the symptoms and found it may be a dirty IAC or MAF, but it also could be my fuel pump going out at 75,xxx miles. If anyone could shed light on this problem it would be greatly appreciated!!

vKgYiTJ.jpg

*photo was taken with a toaster oven*

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I don't think a dirty/bad IAC valve would kill your engine at 2700 rpm. I vote FRPS or fuel pump.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Did the car throw any codes?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
When mine died I got one from a GT off of craigslist for like 15 bucks and threw it in. Pretty quick job but replaced it after the eaton swap with an 03 setup.

Zemedici

Established Member
Change filter and pump just to be safe, they're both relatively inexpensive and easy to do! Good luck!

In2myCobra

Established Member
Will do guys, thanks.
But this morning I did notice the FRPS was loose (barley on) but was still plugged in. I tightend the sensor and the car has been fine all day. Could the shaking of the engine (when loose) cause the sensor to malfunction and cut the car off? (May be a dumb question lol)

Thanks

In2myCobra

Established Member
Update: been driving car for past 2 days and its been perfect! Haven't touched anything yet (except tighten sensor down). About to replace fuel pump and filter for safety. Ill update you all after install.

In2myCobra

Established Member
Update: Got everything installed and car is running much better. Has a smother idle and start up (its seem anyway). So far it hasn't wanted to kill its self! Thanks Guys!

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Check for other random electrical stuff, like indicator lights, turn signal lights, etc.

I had the strangest fuel pump issue where I'd lose fuel pressure randomly but the car would start back up. I would happen in "fits". During these "fits", the right turn signal indicator on the dash would be on. And so were the lights on the front and back. These "fits" were exacerbated when I turned the headlights or A/C on. Strange, right?

It seemed to happen more after it rained. I thoght it might be a bad CCRM Command Control Relay Module. Because that controls the turn signals, A/C, and fuel pump.

I found a CCRM to swap out and it wasn't that.

One day it was happening so often I could barely get out of the parking lot I was stuck in. So, I popped the hood and unplugged everything under the hood and plugged them all back in, one at a time. Turns out there was one loose connector on the passenger side inner fender. It was a big gray plug underneath where the factory MAF/air box would normally be located.

Never had the problem since then.

My point being, our cars are getting old to the point where electrical issues are going to be a huge culprit for more issues than we can imagine.

The last thing you want to do is throw a bunch of money at it with parts that aren't going to fix the problem.

In2myCobra

Established Member
IUP99snake, thanks for the heads up, and glad you fixed it! Ill jack her up this weekend and do a full inspection on the wiring harness and see what I can find. Ever sence the fuel pump + filter have been changed it been running great.

Users who are viewing this thread