Car is at dealer for excessive tick!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
After changing oil car got a really bad tick in it at lower rpms. @ idle cruise if I gave it a little as or held the gas steady at low rpms there was a pretty bad tick coming from the driver side of the motor. I took it in on Thursday and the car was ticking the worst right there on the ramp (thanks god cause sometimes cars decide to act perfect when u get to the dealer). They had 3 service writers and 3 techs out there looking at my car trying to figure it out. All of them said they have never heard of that before. Car drives great and has all its power still but I can hear the tick over my exhaust which is pretty loud. The service writer told me to give him some time to figure it out that they were gonna get it taken care of for me.

DallasBoss

Established Member
I had the same tick after my first oil change using Amsoil 10-40 with an Amsoil filter. The tick gradually became less loud after a few thousand miles, but never completely went away.

I finally had the dealer attempt to fix the issue. The service guy said they had two other 5.0s making the same noise, and that the noise for one started right after they, the dealer, performed a spec'd Motorcraft oil change. So that eliminated using non spec'd oil as the cause.

Ultimately, a Ford engineer was brought in and supposedly found a solution, which was to address the accessory belt pulley configuration. If I remember correctly, the engineer believed that uneven stress was being placed on the crank pulley, which was causing the tick. I asked why this tick started after an oil change and nobody knew the answer.

I picked up the car after the new pulley configuration was completed and the tick was gone, but after changing my oil again, this time to Amsoil 10-30 SS, the tick came right back, although I believe not quite as loud.

The dealer says I need to drop off the car again so they can restart their diagnosis, which is pointless because none of their techs has a clue what the cause is. They will just let the car sit till Ford sends another engineer out. I'm thinking of just contacting Ford engineering myself to get the ball rolling on another solution. Total PITA.

69camaro...

Established Member
same issues here, would like to hear what they say. Mine was loud about 3 days ago, now i ran it hard on the highway and its a lot more quiet. I don't get it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If I recall correctly, two different TSB's were released for ticking noises from the Coyote engine. Complaint is commonly the same, customer changes oil and tick begins. It doesn't matter what brand or weight was used, ticket started.

The fix was often something with drive belt/tensioner, but the other was something a little different. Does anyone recall what the other reason was?

Edit: found it

TSB - Engine knock from A/C

TSB - Engine tick from Camshaft

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I feel like I can't catch a break!!! After the trans blew up car sat for almost 3 months!!! Finally got the t56 magnum and car was running exactly how I wanted it to for a solid 1500 miles. Change the thinking things were gonna stay smooth and this crap happens. O well hopefully they fix it. Ill keep u guys posted on what they find.

hand-filer

Established Member
If I recall correctly, two different TSB's were released for ticking noises from the Coyote engine. Complaint is commonly the same, customer changes oil and tick begins. It doesn't matter what brand or weight was used, ticket started.

The fix was often something with drive belt/tensioner, but the other was something a little different. Does anyone recall what the other reason was?

Edit: found it

TSB - Engine knock from A/C

TSB - Engine tick from Camshaft
the second TSB pertains to the 3.7 V6

clean92lx

Established Member
yea I have noticed that every time I change my oil, the tick comes back and after a few thousand miles it goes away until next oil change. very strange

I use royal purple 5w20

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
yea I have noticed that every time I change my oil, the tick comes back and after a few thousand miles it goes away until next oil change. very strange

I use royal purple 5w20

why dont you try a heavier oil? 5w30 or 40.

Users who are viewing this thread