Car is acting terribad. Help!

19984V

Established Member
First I noticed my idle was stuck at 1900 and it popped a code "lean bank 2"

So i replaced the PCV and the IAC valve.
Car seems better for a bit but it just just popped the same "lean bank 2" code as well as misfire cylinder 6 AND the idle is screwed up again. Its very inconsistent. To make matters worse my gas mileage has been shot to hell.

PLEASE give me some ideas!!!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Start by looking for vaccuum leaks. A leak anywhere past the throttle body could cause a high idle.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Im not sure, but if air is getting into the combustion chamber that wasnt metered by the MAF, then the computer wouldn't know it's supposed to add more fuel. Start the car then take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the base of the upper intake, then the hoses and accessories on the intake, and lastly around the lower intake. If the idle changes when you soray a particular spot, you'll know you have a leak there.

MLS

Established Member
Do not spray carb cleaner on the painted parts it destroys paint! (intake and valve covers)

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Well it could be a lean misfire on that cylinder. May want to check fuel pressure and ohm out the injectors. Check all the plugs, replace if fouled since a set of autolites are so damn cheap. Deffinently check for a vac leak though.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^ try the plugs for sure first, if not you may need new wires for that misfire issue...my car did that a while back, new plugs and wires solved it, as for the high idle try the TPS sensor..it might of went bad too

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member

Thanks for the explaination. :loser: :D

A bad oxygen sensor wouldn't cause a misfire, it would most likely just throw a code for a bad oxygen sensor or give a faulty reading of rich or lean.

I think it could be a few different circumstances. You may have a lean misfire (too much air or not enough fuel) causing both the misfire code and the oxygen sensor code. If the engine sees a misfire it may raise the idle, but I think you are probably getting too much air somehow and that is what is causing the idle to be high.

You may have too much air getting in somehow (vac leak) causing the idle to be too high and causing the lean code, while you have a bad set of plugs or wires causing the misfire.

So replace the plugs and replace the wires if they're a bit old, then check for intake and exhaust leaks.

BTW, if the IAC was bad it probably would have set codes for lean bank 1 and lean bank 2.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I have had misfire codes three differant times. Two were fixed with injectors and the third with a new set of plug wires. If your computer is in learn mode your gas mileage will suck a bit. BTW I am guessing the hanging idle is not related to the lean code. If you can data log look at the MAF signal when the idle is high and compare it to when the idle is normal. If it goes up with a higher idle then the leak is through the TB. If it is the same high and low then it is something like TPS, IAC, or a vac leak.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member

Thanks for the explaination. :loser: :D

A bad oxygen sensor wouldn't cause a misfire, it would most likely just throw a code for a bad oxygen sensor or give a faulty reading of rich or lean.

I think it could be a few different circumstances. You may have a lean misfire (too much air or not enough fuel) causing both the misfire code and the oxygen sensor code. If the engine sees a misfire it may raise the idle, but I think you are probably getting too much air somehow and that is what is causing the idle to be high.

You may have too much air getting in somehow (vac leak) causing the idle to be too high and causing the lean code, while you have a bad set of plugs or wires causing the misfire.

So replace the plugs and replace the wires if they're a bit old, then check for intake and exhaust leaks.

BTW, if the IAC was bad it probably would have set codes for lean bank 1 and lean bank 2.

Whoops, I somehow missed the misfire part.

Users who are viewing this thread