Car Help Needed

deannyc

Str8
Established Member
Hey all, my father has a 1995 s420 that has been suffering from over heating issues lately.

A. The car has 175,000 miles but has always been well maintained.
B. I check and re check the oil, and it is never "milky" white which I know is a sign of a bad head gasket.
C. The car overheats @ IDLE, but if I run the car at any rpm while stationary, the temperature gauge will go down, all the way to 40 C. 80C being the median.
D.Antifreeze is being fed through the system, it sucks down while on the gas, and is present in the lines, how ever I do not know for a fact if the water pump is working correctly. The radiator has been checked and is supposibly in working order... I just ran the car up to operating temp, and the entire radiator was cool other than the lower right hand corner, where I believe the line is feeding in too.
E. There is a slight amount of water leaking out of the exhaust along with a decent amount of exhaust it self (nothing too crazy esp since the car is a 95 with 175k), it smells normal, no antifreeze smell is present from what I can tell..
F. You CAN stop the cooling fan with just your hand, regardless of RPM. (dont ask me how I found that one out) One mechanic led me to believe it is the fan clutch which I doubt... The car originally overheated @ highway speeds, which in turn led to a upper hose replacement, which has not had any effect on the issue.

I`m at a loss as to whether it is the head gasket or the water pump, like I said @ IDLE it overheats, if you apply RPMS the temperature will dip below operating levels.... Repeat the process and it will go up at idle, and down when given gas...

Any ideas?:shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread