Car dies when I engage clutch, thoughts?

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Is this something that has started recently? Have you noticed any difference in idle vacuum or even idle quality?

First thing I thought of was vacuum leak, that would be my first thing to trouble shoot for.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Symptom: When driving at any speeds greater than 10 mph with the rpm above 1500, when I engage the clutch, the rpms free fall and the car dies. Most commonly when I am disengaging to brake for a stop light, but it will also do it between shifts if I leave the clutch in long enough.

General info: The car idles perfect and the air fuel is perfect across the board even at WOT which imo rules out vacuum leak.

Car is a Hellion single conversion with HPP upper intake, LFP single blade, VMP HPX slot MAF. PCV is properly routed into a dual catch can setup vented to atmosphere.

Tried so far:
Replaced Crankshaft sensor
Replaced Camshaft sensor
Cleaned MAF sensor
Replaced IAC
Tested TPS..99 idle, 3.99 WOT
Adjusted Dashpot Idle Decay Rate in tune.

My next attempts will be to replace the pcv and remove the upper intake and throttle body to clean.

Anyone else have ideas?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ive had issues like this as most of us have over the years..

Mine is stock and pretty much still original @370k

I was getting this a while back...and I clean it alot being a dd

the pcv valve on mine (ev153) when replaced would help 99%

And stall would go to once in awhile mostly stop and go traffic

mine got to a point of miss firing with never a code..issue ended up being coils..

but after I noticed my stall issue is 100% gone..its been a good 5 years now and still it hasnt stalled or rpm drop since

Users who are viewing this thread