car dies last night

3ohh2

Established Member
So I haven't driven my 2003 SVTF for almost a week and started it up last night to take it out. I let her warm up for a few minutes while I got ready and headed up the street when out of no where it just cut off on me at the stop sign at the top of the street. It started up just fine and the rest of the trip I didn't have any problems but this has me worried. Is this the beginning of a problem? maybe the alternator problem that's common? I just passed 60,000 so my question is this a common problem for this year or mileage? Or is this just relatd to letting the car sit for a few days? as always any input is appreciated. thanks

3ohh2

Established Member
i forgot to mention that I've never had any problems cutting off before and that everything is original(no aftermarket). I also let the car warm up for a good ten minutes.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Sitting for a week should have no affect on the car dying on you, unless the temp is like 30F below zero or something and the battery got drained or your battery is just going south on ya. My car sat for a month and it started right up this weekend no problem. I would think alternator maybe??? Loose battery connection???:??: Although I did have problems with my Foxbody battery draining when it sat for like month without being driven...I would need to re-charge it and then it would be ok, happened a couple times.:eek:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
That randomly happens to me. Always at the same stop light, always on the way to work, always warmed up first. It is totally inconsistent and has only happened like 5 times. But like I said, same place, same time, every time. Strange. I just let it go. ?!

3ohh2

Established Member
well it was the first and only time it has happened otherwise the car has been great. maybe I'm just overreacting. I'll check the cable connections when I get home and wait for it to happen again before I start tearing through my car looking for a problem

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
happens to me about 2 times a month. mostly when rolling slowly to a stop, and some when decelerating from 40mph after depressing the clutch to coast. kinda wierd, i've asked around and i keep hearing TPS. Then there are others who say, "GET A TUNE!"

hope thats helpful

alohaSVTF

'02 Silver SVTF
Established Member
happened to me once already while idling in a wal-mart parking lot. started up just fine. hope it doesn't occur again. damn gremlins!?

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
i had that issue with my svtf...broken wires going to the coil pack. repaired the wires and never had a problem again

Users who are viewing this thread